• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this count as a net grade?
1 1

97 posts in this topic

On 5/13/2023 at 3:04 PM, Carter12345 said:

Would 2 20’s and 1 25 being sold on the same day really suppress the price that much? And do PCGS holders really bring down the price? Or was it just right day right time? 

I don't think the prices were suppressed all that much, it seems to me that one of the 15's was a higher dollar note due to it's rarity and would typically bring a higher price regardless and the other was part of a buying frenzy during the pandemic. I don't collect these and pay little attention to them so I could be off base but that's what it seems like it could be to me. 

On 5/13/2023 at 3:10 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I don't think the prices were suppressed all that much, it seems to me that one of the 15's was a higher dollar note due to it's rarity and would typically bring a higher price regardless and the other was part of a buying frenzy during the pandemic. I don't collect these and pay little attention to them so I could be off base but that's what it seems like it could be to me. 

Ok I just was looking through their auction archives and one got a net grade for “Foreign substance” doesn't mine have a foreign substance? Also I called the place I sold it to they said they’re hoping for it to grade a VF-XF. Theres no way that thing grades even a 30 because the 30’s are all way better than mine right?

Edited by Carter12345

I'm not as familiar with the net grading thing and currency/bills....for coins, the problem is that deliberately or accidentally they were wiped/cleaned years or decades ago.  You don't really have to worry about that with currency, right ?

I think I have read where folks may flatten or even whiten/brighten a bill (not sure how they can do that) but it's probably a more difficult, elaborate process than just dipping a coin and trying to tone it or brighten it, right ?

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 2/29/2024 at 3:57 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I'm not as familiar with the net grading thing and currency/bills....for coins, the problem is that deliberately or accidentally they were wiped/cleaned years or decades ago.  You don't really have to worry about that with currency, right ?

Pressing notes in books, or in other ways, is probably the biggest sin of the past. That is the main reason a lot of older notes that look to be in fabulous condition don't Q. Notes with EPQ or PPQ designations go for much higher sums in most cases. 

On 2/29/2024 at 3:57 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I think I have read where folks may flatten or even whiten/brighten a bill (not sure how they can do that) but it's probably a more difficult, elaborate process than just dipping a coin and trying to tone it or brighten it, right ?

Stick a note in a book, iron it, etc and you'll flatten the embossing and make the note feel overly stiff, cleaning a note is not necessarily frowned upon if done properly, similarly to coins. A coin will details grade if cleaned, a note will NET grade but I've never seen a note labeled as cleaned on a TPG holder yet.

Don't forget trimming of bills at the edges.....they've done that with baseball cards for decades. :o

My cousin just submitted some baseball cards for grading, aquired from when I took him and his younger brothers to card shows in the late-1980's/early-1990's.  We used to put the cards in those nice, big heavy Lucites...especially our best cards (the Lucites were expensive, you didn't use them on common cards xD ).  Now it appears that the cards get "crushed" or flattened in those Lucites and what we were told at the time was the best way to preserve the cards will probably result in them being given a Details-like classification.:( 

On 2/29/2024 at 9:12 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Don't forget trimming of bills at the edges.....they've done that with baseball cards for decades. :o

True, but while frowned upon the trimming of bills seems to be a somewhat accepted practice, especially for older notes which were cut from sheets by hand at the bank of issue. TPG's will also straight grade modern notes from uncut sheets sold by the BEP. Manmade errors from uncut sheets are a no no and will be noted on the holder. They are pretty few and far between but I have seen notes with "Trimmed" noted on the holder, the notes were still straight graded. As long as it is not painfully obvious that a note was trimmed, it is usually pass through without notation from what I've seen.