• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this count as a net grade?
1 1

97 posts in this topic

On 4/6/2023 at 3:10 AM, Carter12345 said:

Also is this soiling and will they deduct for this? 

Yes on both counts. Folds always look darker and tend to collect dirt and see more contact.

On 4/5/2023 at 6:41 PM, Carter12345 said:

Also I was looking through some notes and some notes had a little piece of paper missing from the top but it didn’t get a comment or net grade?

Must not have been significant enough to detract from the overall condition or it got missed, and just because a small piece of paper is missing doesn't mean a note will NET grade. 

On 4/6/2023 at 3:05 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Yes on both counts. Folds always look darker and tend to collect dirt and see more contact.

Must not have been significant enough to detract from the overall condition or it got missed, and just because a small piece of paper is missing doesn't mean a note will NET grade. 

And on the front of the bill only would you give it a 25 or 20 because the edges and margins are really dirty and folded but the bill looks good other than a few spots that are slighter dark.

On 4/6/2023 at 10:25 PM, Carter12345 said:

And on the front of the bill only would you give it a 25 or 20 because the edges and margins are really dirty and folded but the bill looks good other than a few spots that are slighter dark.

That and because of all the folds, particularly the vertical and horizontal going directly through the main design. The note also displays significant handling, has additional folds, has significant creasing throughout, etc., etc.,etc..

Try back lighting or side lighting the note, that should show you all the folds and creases in the note. 

On 4/8/2023 at 5:39 PM, Carter12345 said:

What do you think of the video with the backlight? Does it look worse better or the same?

It showed what I expected, all the folds, creases, soiling, and additional damage more clearly. I was proposing this as more of an exercise for you, so that you could get a better idea of what the note really looks like. I'm still thinking VF20 and can't really say more without seeing the note in hand. 

If you had several other notes to send in to PMG I would consider sending this note as well. I probably wouldn't send this note in solo, the cost of having just one note graded would eat into any profit for this one too much. Take it to a local coin shop and see what they think, maybe they'll buy it for a fair price or give you a deal on getting it graded. They could definitely give you another opinion on the condition of the note.

On 4/9/2023 at 5:40 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

It showed what I expected, all the folds, creases, soiling, and additional damage more clearly. I was proposing this as more of an exercise for you, so that you could get a better idea of what the note really looks like. I'm still thinking VF20 and can't really say more without seeing the note in hand. 

If you had several other notes to send in to PMG I would consider sending this note as well. I probably wouldn't send this note in solo, the cost of having just one note graded would eat into any profit for this one too much. Take it to a local coin shop and see what they think, maybe they'll buy it for a fair price or give you a deal on getting it graded. They could definitely give you another opinion on the condition of the note.

I sold it to my local coin shop I sold it for $310 I know it was a bad deal but whatever. They were kinda known for lowballing. 

On 4/9/2023 at 5:40 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

They’ll probably get it graded and sell it for $650-$700 that sound about right?

On 4/9/2023 at 2:38 PM, Carter12345 said:

They’ll probably get it graded and sell it for $650-$700 that sound about right?

They'll probably list it at around that range, maybe a little lower if they don't have it graded, and accept reasonable offers.  $310 is probably fair, they need to try and turn a profit, saves you some time and trouble of trying to get top dollar.

On 4/9/2023 at 4:47 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

They'll probably list it at around that range, maybe a little lower if they don't have it graded, and accept reasonable offers.  $310 is probably fair, they need to try and turn a profit, saves you some time and trouble of trying to get top dollar.

The store was kinda known for lowballing though, I probably could’ve got more if I auctioned it I probably would’ve got $500 after grading fees and taxes but theres nothing I can do about it now.

I don’t they it would’ve graded a 25 and I think they probably thought the same because they spend $310 plus around $50 for grading and make around $250-$300 even though there known for lowballing $310 is still kind of a lowball. Right?

Edited by Carter12345

The thing is the shop is known for lowballing but I still don’t think they thought it would’ve graded a VF25 because it doesn’t look close to any of the ones i’ve seen. 

On 4/10/2023 at 11:29 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I wouldn't think so. 

He inspected it with a microscope thing around the edges and a little bit on the bill then held it up to the light. But I think that was to just check for repairs or damages. Right?

On 4/10/2023 at 2:35 PM, Carter12345 said:

But I think that was to just check for repairs or damages. Right?

Most likely, and the overall condition of the bill. Honestly, I'd be a little surprised if they were an expert on paper money, most coin shops deal mainly in coins and paper is either nonexistent or a secondary function, but they probably see enough notes to come to a good conclusion on the condition of it. They are going to price it at what they think they can get for it, if they price it for 45 money it will most likely never sell, if they price it at 20 money they'll get a quick flip and make a couple bucks. If they send it in they'll probably make a few extra bucks, and if they get real lucky and send it in and it grades above 20 they'll make even more. Most places seem to like to flip it quick and get what they can, but if they specialize in notes and/or submit notes frequently to PMG it would only make sense to send it in as the cost would be minimal compared to if you sent it in solo. 

On 4/10/2023 at 2:23 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Most likely, and the overall condition of the bill. Honestly, I'd be a little surprised if they were an expert on paper money, most coin shops deal mainly in coins and paper is either nonexistent or a secondary function, but they probably see enough notes to come to a good conclusion on the condition of it. They are going to price it at what they think they can get for it, if they price it for 45 money it will most likely never sell, if they price it at 20 money they'll get a quick flip and make a couple bucks. If they send it in they'll probably make a few extra bucks, and if they get real lucky and send it in and it grades above 20 they'll make even more. Most places seem to like to flip it quick and get what they can, but if they specialize in notes and/or submit notes frequently to PMG it would only make sense to send it in as the cost would be minimal compared to if you sent it in solo. 

Do you think it has a higher chance of grading 15 or 25?

On 4/10/2023 at 6:28 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

My guess would be  lower but you never know. Going off of pics is never as good as having the note in hand.

The note was fine around the edges no tears and I’m pretty sure it was not pressed down. Do you still think lower?

On 4/11/2023 at 12:36 PM, Carter12345 said:

The note was fine around the edges no tears

If the edges were good then there is a good chance that it won't go lower, maybe higher to a 25. My guess is still 20 but it's impossible to say without seeing the note in person, even then there is a human factor, one person might say 20 the other 25, part of the reason at least two people have to look at a note. A third, I think, if there is a discrepancy between the first two grades.  At any rate the note is gone.

On 4/11/2023 at 10:30 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

If the edges were good then there is a good chance that it won't go lower, maybe higher to a 25. My guess is still 20 but it's impossible to say without seeing the note in person, even then there is a human factor, one person might say 20 the other 25, part of the reason at least two people have to look at a note. A third, I think, if there is a discrepancy between the first two grades.  At any rate the note is gone.

They weren’t torn but they were wrinkled, folded, and soiled really bad. Do you think its closer to a 15 or 25?

Edited by Carter12345

On 5/2/2023 at 3:07 PM, Carter12345 said:

Ok so its not worth extra?

Nope, according to the Paper Money of the United States price guide. It seems to be a common signature combo for the regular note, it doesn't look like the signatures add anything for a star or mule either.

On 5/2/2023 at 12:39 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Nope, according to the Paper Money of the United States price guide. It seems to be a common signature combo for the regular note, it doesn't look like the signatures add anything for a star or mule either.

So its a common signature for the note I had right?