• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this count as a net grade?
1 1

97 posts in this topic

On 3/2/2023 at 3:09 AM, Carter12345 said:

The little ink spot on the V. Would this be a net grade?

No, the note would not NET grade because of that ink smear but that doesn't mean it still won't due to other issues. If the graders find any that is. 

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
Spelling

On 3/2/2023 at 12:34 PM, Carter12345 said:

Do you see any other issues?

It's very difficult to say without seeing an image of the entire note, and even then I probably couldn't say with any certainty. You really need to examine a note in-hand. Based on what you've posted so far the note looks to be in pretty rough shape and is probably more likely than not to receive a NET grade, it looks badly wrinkled and stained, has several folds, lots of little tears at the edges and has probably been pressed to flatten it. Sometimes there are so many small little problems with the note that all of them combined will yield a NET grade. I think the tears, and if it was pressed, would cause the note to NET grade. That little ink smear is the least of this notes problems. 

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

On 3/2/2023 at 10:11 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

It's very difficult to say without seeing an image of the entire note, and even then I probably couldn't say with any certainty. You really need to examine a note in-hand. Based on what you've posted so far the note looks to be in pretty rough shape and is probably more likely than not to receive a NET grade, it looks badly wrinkled and stained, has several folds, lots of little tears at the edges and has probably been pressed to flatten it. Sometimes there are so many small little problems with the note that all of them combined will yield a NET grade. I think just the tears would cause the note to NET grade, and if it was pressed it would for sure NET grade. That little ink smear is the least of this notes problems. 

And by being pressed down what does that exactly mean?

On 3/3/2023 at 3:20 AM, Carter12345 said:

I dont see any tears let me send a picture of the other side it looks much better. 

The area I circled looks like it could have small tears at the edge of the note, maybe it's just creasing hard to say from a pic. A note can only grade as high as it's worst side. 

image.thumb.jpeg.cc37d4be5a18da3208a3ff272b86a129.jpeg

On 3/3/2023 at 3:27 AM, Carter12345 said:

And by being pressed down what does that exactly mean?

Placing a note in a book for example to "flatten" it and make if more presentable.

I don't know if it will be given a NET designation or not, but based on the pics it seems that there is a definite possibility that it could. 

On 3/4/2023 at 2:17 AM, Carter12345 said:

I don’t think it’s been flattened. I put it in a hard plastic case that kind of pushes down on it. Can that cause it?

The note should be fine in that case, if storing it long term make sure the case is PVC free.

On 4/2/2023 at 7:38 PM, Carter12345 said:

Do you think theres any chance it could get 25 or 15? Because the back is pretty bad. But the front is good.

It could go either way from the looks of it.

It doesn't matter how good the face is, it matters how bad the back is. When it comes to condition the worse side will dictate the grade. Now, if I was going to pick on of these up and I had to pick between two notes with identical grades and one had a better looking face, I'd go with that note. Probably pay a little extra for it as well.

On 4/3/2023 at 3:09 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

It could go either way from the looks of it.

It doesn't matter how good the face is, it matters how bad the back is. When it comes to condition the worse side will dictate the grade. Now, if I was going to pick on of these up and I had to pick between two notes with identical grades and one had a better looking face, I'd go with that note. Probably pay a little extra for it as well.

But it has a ink mark.

On 4/3/2023 at 10:43 AM, Carter12345 said:

But it has a ink mark.

The ink mark is not much of a factor IMO, if at all, the overall condition of the note is what drives down the grade in this case. There are plenty of graded notes out there with ink marks on them, lots of them with high grades too.

On 4/3/2023 at 10:57 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

The ink mark is not much of a factor IMO, if at all, the overall condition of the note is what drives down the grade in this case. There are plenty of graded notes out there with ink marks on them, lots of them with high grades too.

I was looking at notes and basically none of the VF25’s had the same amount of folds on the back as mine and not as much soiling as well. But the 15’s also looked in a lot worse condition. Mine looks to be around a 20. Because the front is close to a 25 but the margins being soiled and the corners folded and then the back is brownish and has lots of folds and lots of soiling on the margins. It looks like a 20 to me. The 25’s had very nice edges and most of the paper was more whitish and looked newer and didn’t have as many margin and corner dirtiness and the backs pretty much all only had 1-3 folds for the 25’s. What do you think?

On 4/4/2023 at 3:07 AM, Carter12345 said:

I was looking at notes and basically none of the VF25’s had the same amount of folds on the back as mine and not as much soiling as well. But the 15’s also looked in a lot worse condition. Mine looks to be around a 20. Because the front is close to a 25 but the margins being soiled and the corners folded and then the back is brownish and has lots of folds and lots of soiling on the margins. It looks like a 20 to me. The 25’s had very nice edges and most of the paper was more whitish and looked newer and didn’t have as many margin and corner dirtiness and the backs pretty much all only had 1-3 folds for the 25’s. What do you think?

I agree VF20 is what I was thinking.

On 4/4/2023 at 10:56 AM, Carter12345 said:

But to inspect both sides of the bill and all the folds. Only 15 seconds each?

Yep, that's all they need for the most part. They may take more or less time depending on the note and condition but it is literally seconds. They are a business and need to get notes in-and-out as quickly as possible. 

It doesn't take long to asses a note and assign a grade, especially if you've been collecting or grading notes for any extended period of time. Who knows how many hundreds or thousands of notes they see in a day, after a few days or weeks of looking at that many notes you'd be pretty expeditious too. I don't think that is an unreasonable amount of time.

On 4/4/2023 at 8:10 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Yep, that's all they need for the most part. They may take more or less time depending on the note and condition but it is literally seconds. They are a business and need to get notes in-and-out as quickly as possible. 

It doesn't take long to asses a note and assign a grade, especially if you've been collecting or grading notes for any extended period of time. Who knows how many hundreds or thousands of notes they see in a day, after a few days or weeks of looking at that many notes you'd be pretty expeditious too. I don't think that is an unreasonable amount of time.

To you does the front look like a 25 or 20? Cause the center looks like a 25. But the edges or folded and rounded and dirty. So do you think its closer to a 25 or 20?

On 4/4/2023 at 2:11 PM, Carter12345 said:

To you does the front look like a 25 or 20? Cause the center looks like a 25. But the edges or folded and rounded and dirty. So do you think its closer to a 25 or 20?

The face looks better that the back in the images, so sure, it's looks like a 25. Seems to be much less dirt/soiling on that side. Like I said, that doesn't matter when grading as a note can only be as good as it's worse side. Same with coins.

On 4/4/2023 at 11:17 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

The face looks better that the back in the images, so sure, it's looks like a 25. Seems to be much less dirt/soiling on that side. Like I said, that doesn't matter when grading as a note can only be as good as it's worse side. Same with coins.

That’s really how it works? I though it like one side is a 15 and the other side is a 25 they’ll give it like a 20

On 4/4/2023 at 8:37 PM, Carter12345 said:

But how come I’ve seen some notes that like have a 15 back and a 20-25 front and the note is usually a 20?

You'll have to ask the grader. Without seeing the note in hand it's impossible to say. I'm not saying that there aren't some leaners or notes on the edge of grades, + & -, or notes that snuck through or that were labeled incorrectly but in general the worse side will dictate the grade. 

On 4/5/2023 at 3:07 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

You'll have to ask the grader. Without seeing the note in hand it's impossible to say. I'm not saying that there aren't some leaners or notes on the edge of grades, + & -, or notes that snuck through or that were labeled incorrectly but in general the worse side will dictate the grade. 

That make sense i guess. Also I was looking through some notes and some notes had a little piece of paper missing from the top but it didn’t get a comment or net grade?

On 4/5/2023 at 3:07 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Also is this soiling and will they deduct for this? 

C2138FD3-84F1-4192-8E80-0FFF335BB61F.jpeg