• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Really bad day for my friend......

15 posts in this topic

Ouch!

If that's the price difference from a 65 to 64 your friend may want to give it a third try.

Those are the risks you take when playing the resubmission game, don't think I would have risked it at those odds. What would the note be worth if it graded 66 or what would the increase in value have been?

generally this note with ordinary SN and 66E values at some 30 thousand US dollar in China .

but here in China, SN Got so riduculus with valuation that people got special name for 666/888 or 6666/8888 that they are called LION NUMBER or LEOPARD NUMBER

these numbers got prices exploding.

So definitely my friend gonna regrade it, it's really rampant.

微信图片_20200609211634.jpg

微信图片_20200609211642.jpg

微信图片_20200609211645.jpg

微信图片_20200609211647.jpg

微信图片_20200609211649.jpg

1 hour ago, 公众号:PMG收藏圈 said:

but here in China, SN Got so riduculus with valuation that people got special name for 666/888 or 6666/8888 that they are called LION NUMBER or LEOPARD NUMBER

these numbers got prices exploding.

Interesting, I hadn't heard of this. Is the premium for the serial number combinations only tied to Chinese notes or do people in China pay a premium for notes with those numbers no matter the country?

1 hour ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

Interesting, I hadn't heard of this. Is the premium for the serial number combinations only tied to Chinese notes or do people in China pay a premium for notes with those numbers no matter the country?

now that you are interested, i want to share the situ here a lot more. in the west, coin collectors maybe far more than note collectors, but in China note collectors are contrarialy much popular, some of the reason maybe in the US or EU, the note design is just person on it for toooo long( one century? i am not much familar with West notes), the Chinese notes got so many elements and designs in different times and of course it got huge populations, people are attached to these colors or designs on old notes used in their daily past.

PMG has until now graded 500M banknotes, about half or more are Chinese notes.....:whatthe: here people grades PMG banknotes not in pieces, but in stacks or in bundles:insane:..........

So about your question, people here mainly collect domestic notes, of which they are attched to. but little by little in big cities, US dollars with fancy numbers also got premium now.

here we have birthday note/ marriage note/ leopard note(111/222/....)/ lion note(1111/2222/....) /tiger note(11111/22222....)/elephant note /dragon note/ Sky note.....:bump:

and always bear in mind, numbers got 4(death) and 7(persetic) in it can discount 50%~70% from numbers without them.... doh!   

people prefer numbers with 6(good luck) and 8(good fortune). hahahahahahahahahahahah

微信图片_20200610001133.jpg

On 6/9/2020 at 12:13 PM, 公众号:PMG收藏圈 said:

now that you are interested, i want to share the situ here a lot more. in the west, coin collectors maybe far more than note collectors, but in China note collectors are contrarialy much popular, some of the reason maybe in the US or EU, the note design is just person on it for toooo long( one century? i am not much familar with West notes), the Chinese notes got so many elements and designs in different times and of course it got huge populations, people are attached to these colors or designs on old notes used in their daily past.

PMG has until now graded 500M banknotes, about half or more are Chinese notes.....:whatthe: here people grades PMG banknotes not in pieces, but in stacks or in bundles:insane:..........

So about your question, people here mainly collect domestic notes, of which they are attched to. but little by little in big cities, US dollars with fancy numbers also got premium now.

here we have birthday note/ marriage note/ leopard note(111/222/....)/ lion note(1111/2222/....) /tiger note(11111/22222....)/elephant note /dragon note/ Sky note.....:bump:

and always bear in mind, numbers got 4(death) and 7(persetic) in it can discount 50%~70% from numbers without them.... doh!   

people prefer numbers with 6(good luck) and 8(good fortune). hahahahahahahahahahahah

微信图片_20200610001133.jpg

You mean like a note like this?

DSCN4367.JPG

DSCN4364.JPG

On 6/9/2020 at 9:29 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

It's a pretty big deal over there on everything. My company is working on a 4th gen product. The first gen was the 101, followed by the 2nd Gen 201. The current products are the 300, 301 and 303 (different tech base than the 300 and 301, which the new product will replace). There's been talk that the 4th gen unit may be the "302" or something else specifically because a "401" would not sell in China.

On 7/6/2020 at 9:35 PM, 公众号:PMG收藏圈 said:

Yeah,remember taking that when visiting China,hahahah 

From that series that you see above, I have several hundred bills, all starting with 88888 with various combinations like 88888237 (Lucky numbers for Horse as well as the other Chinese Zodiac lucky numbers), about 45 bills that start with 888888 including 88888880-88888889.  Where I struggle is with the meaning of combinations of numbers.  I've read that 4 means death but if the number is 848 then it implies wealth for 8 lifetimes.  74 might mean "Death for certain" but 78 might mean "Wealth for certain".  I have a very big Asian community where I live, maybe second only to San Francisco and New York but figuring out WHO to contact is the challenge.  BTW, I am assuming you took those notes during COVID to keep safe.....hahaha.

The big thing about US notes vs. other countries is that we have 8 digits in our notes which means that it is roughly 1 in 96,000,000 chance of landing solid 8's vs. some countries currencies that only have 6 digits meaning that solid 8's occur as 1 in 999,999 which is a LOT more frequent.

I've contacted Stacks Bowers about auctioning off my bills but I have a pretty good feeling that they'd struggle with good Asian combinations.  I searched for license plate numbers that auction off at a high price to get some idea of what other good number combinations to look for in my notes.  I have several from the 200's like 88888268 and 88888222 as well as 88888226.  

Another big challenge is figuring out WHICH notes to professionally grade.  I think the complete 10 note set 88888880-88888889 should be graded as well as the number above 88888666 but then it gets a bit tricky because grading isn't cheap. 

So the question I would have is, would these notes (specifically the 6/8's and 5/8's with lucky number combinations) have a higher hammer price at an auction held in the Asian market or U.S.? Or does it really even matter in this day and age, as long as the auction is well advertised. The 8/8 gets graded the 7/8's probably get graded as well. I see 7/8's (7 of 8 numbers the same not necessarily 8's) selling on eBay (in lower denominations) both graded and raw for between $150-300

7 hours ago, Luckyjeff said:

I've contacted Stacks Bowers about auctioning off my bills but I have a pretty good feeling that they'd struggle with good Asian combinations.

I wouldn't think they would struggle, or that any of the big auction houses would necessarily struggle. If they did I'm sure they'd figure it out, they want to optimize the hammer price as much as you. What I would be looking for is the next available major Asian auction that I could cosign to, that's assuming your notes carry a higher premium due to the serial number combinations in the Asian market. Stack's Bowers is holding an auction for the Hong Kong Coin Show later this month, probably to late to hit that one but I would be looking at the major auction houses for a similar show. . A good auction house should be able to point you in the right direction.

7 hours ago, Luckyjeff said:

Another big challenge is figuring out WHICH notes to professionally grade.

Stack's Bowers is offering free grading to all coins and notes cosigned to them, until they hit $1 Million in grading fees.

Good find and recognizing the potential by the way.^^ I probably would have not noticed the serial numbers at the time and just stuffed the notes in my pocket and walked away.

If it was me I'd save at least one for liar's poker, always a blast when someone shows a bill like that. Just be prepared to be called every name in the book after you show it and hopefully take everyone's money, at least if your circle of friends is like mine. 

Thank you very much Fenntucky Mike!  One thing I have learned with age is appreciating how much I DON'T know so I value advice more than when I was young.  Very good thoughts.

One thing about the Stacks Bowers free grading is that they will grade bills that they feel will benefit from grading, not every submission.  However, as you indicated, they want to maximize the returns for their pocketbooks and reputation so if they thing the bill or coin will benefit then they will definitely pay for the grading.  In my perfect world, I make enough on the bills to justify keeping 88888880-88888889 because the set is so hard to keep but I'm pretty certain that Stacks Bowers will require the surrender of that set to run the auction.  They indicated that the collection needs to be valued at over $10,000 for them to do the deal with grading and I don't think that I have enough other special bills to successfully reach that level without throwing in the 10 best.

I'd get the 8/8 graded or just keep it in a nice holder like you already have and keep it for my own collection. The only other fancy serial numbers I think you can have with the first five digits being the same (8) are Rotators. Keep researching the S#'s and the notes in general, get a good (realistic) idea of what the value is, and maybe you'll stumble on to something with the Lucky numbers and/or Fancy serial numbers as well. Depending on what you think the other notes are worth, I'd think about not grading and just going the eBay route.

Good Luck.

5 hours ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

I'd get the 8/8 graded or just keep it in a nice holder like you already have and keep it for my own collection. The only other fancy serial numbers I think you can have with the first five digits being the same (8) are Rotators. Keep researching the S#'s and the notes in general, get a good (realistic) idea of what the value is, and maybe you'll stumble on to something with the Lucky numbers and/or Fancy serial numbers as well. Depending on what you think the other notes are worth, I'd think about not grading and just going the eBay route.

Good Luck.

Very tempted to keep the 88888888 because I could never afford to buy a bill like that or a similar rare note.  If I grade it with PMG, it will qualify as a Super Fancy because it is solid 8's and is a rotator as well.  If I keep it, I will grade it but the unfortunate thing about that particular bill is that it is not as perfectly centered as its surrounding bills so it will not grade REAL high.  Probably mid 60's.  I am going to a currency fair in North Georgia in August so I will see how similar bills are priced there.  It was really interesting looking at the Stacks Bowers completed auctions for the US and Hong Kong.  Solids and similar fancy notes have been really popular in Hong Kong but not as much here.  Unfortunately, I didn't see ANY US currency auctioned in the Hong Kong market so I wonder about that.

Anyway, thank you for your feedback.  I really appreciate it very much.

With nearly half a million New Yorkers receiving a traffic citation annually and over $1 billion paid in fines each year, Pay NYC ticket NYC Traffic Tickets will help you learn more about the ways you can take care of your citations. Paying your New Jersey traffic ticket lookup never a fun task. Finding out where the municipal court is, finding time to go there, and trying not to miss work all just seem like too much work for something so easy to do online! The state of New Jersey has made it much easier on us all by implementing this new way of paying your ticket. Now drivers can pay their tickets from home at no additional cost!