• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Binary $100 should I get it graded
1 1

21 posts in this topic

A binary $100 like yours that is PMG-67 might go for $200-$250.  It MIGHT be worth it to do so...you'd be protecting the bill...you'd also have an official grade....but it's not a huge windfall.

If it doesn't get a 65 or 66, I'm not sure it's worth it.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 3/8/2024 at 9:33 PM, Jogarced said:

Well thank you very much for responding I do appreciate you taking the time.  

The key is the grade, I think.  Are all 4 corners razor sharp...it looks like they might be a bit dulled.  I trust it's well-centered and no discolorations.

Too many de-merits and then your $100 bill might be worth $150 after spending $25 to grade it, that's what I mean.  But definitely get more opinions and tell us how the bill looks to you.  The higher the grade, the more likely it is to be worth it.

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. The bill is circulated I got it from a bank withdrawal. It looks to be in good condition. It does have a crease in the center from where it was folded. when I saw the serial number I was already buying my house on the River 🤣.  I'm going to send it off to get graded.  will definitely keep you posted 👍. Again thank you very much for taking the time your response is very appreciated 👍

On 3/8/2024 at 10:41 PM, Jogarced said:

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. The bill is circulated I got it from a bank withdrawal. It looks to be in good condition. It does have a crease in the center from where it was folded. when I saw the serial number I was already buying my house on the River 🤣.  I'm going to send it off to get graded.  will definitely keep you posted 👍. Again thank you very much for taking the time your response is very appreciated 👍

I'm not sure how the procedures for bill grading work -- I know for coins you just don't submit only one as you get screwed on the price.  So explore your options with PCGS (or their successor) and PMG (the leader).

If the bill is circulated -- a 50-58 grade -- then aside from sentimental reasons, there might not be a monetary reason to pay for it to be graded and holdered.  It might be worth $125 and it might cost you $40-$50 to grade/holder it, understand ?

Well I paid 15O for the pmg membership and got a 150 credit. So its a break even for me 🤠. I have a few other bills I want graded. I'm gonna throw them in the lot 🤣. Do you know anything about 10 dollar star notes. I have six sequential PB06089456* to 61. I know this much the serial number isn't it unique or anything but the fact that it's a star note and  sequential. I'm thinking about just getting them graded against my credit. Do you think it would be worth it?

On 3/8/2024 at 11:42 PM, Jogarced said:

Well I paid 15O for the pmg membership and got a 150 credit. So its a break even for me 🤠. I have a few other bills I want graded. I'm gonna throw them in the lot 🤣. Do you know anything about 10 dollar star notes. I have six sequential PB06089456* to 61. I know this much the serial number isn't it unique or anything but the fact that it's a star note and  sequential. I'm thinking about just getting them graded against my credit. Do you think it would be worth it?

If you belong and have a credit, then that changes the calculus for sure.  Go for it !! (thumbsu

Not an expert on star notes -- I think I have maybe 5 out of 300 bills !! xD -- but 6 sequential could be worth something.  What year are those PB's ?

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 3/8/2024 at 11:54 PM, Jogarced said:

2017A.  Lol got them from an ATM withdrawal 😁. Didn't notice till I got home  🤣🤣. Otherwise I would have bled that ATM dry 🤠🤠.. they are practically uncirculated. 

Sometimes a teller puts them right into the ATM machine and they are super-crisp....I don't know how a professional would grade such bills, though. 

Ditto those straight from a teller without the machine.

Maybe both are high-60's ?

On 3/9/2024 at 12:59 AM, Jogarced said:

Oh they are pretty new but do you think I should spend the money to get them graded at $15 a piece. ??? I really do appreciate the time that you have spent to answer my questions. Thank you again

I've never submitted a coin or bill for grading.  I can only say it's a function of how much to get them graded AND what the likely value is.  At $15 each, sentimental value aside, if the bills aren't each worth $75, it's a waste IMO.

Check comparable note sales on GC or HA or Ebay (but use Ebay last xD).

I would say that a circulated $100 fancy fancy serial number is not worth the cost of having graded. You'd probably break even or maybe come out a little ahead as far as recouping the grading fees but would make less money overall as you'd probably have a bigger margin selling it raw.

One more thing to consider, a circulated $100 bill is a lot of money to be sitting on just because it has a fancy serial number, most fancy $100 bills sell for less of a premium when compared to lower denomination fancies because of the FV. 

Not saying you couldn't find that one person to pay up for it but you may have to sit on it for a long time, and you may not ever find that person. 

On 3/9/2024 at 7:15 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I would say that a circulated $100 fancy fancy serial number is not worth the cost of having graded. You'd probably break even or maybe come out a little ahead as far as recouping the grading fees but would make less money overall as you'd probably have a bigger margin selling it raw.  One more thing to consider, a circulated $100 bill is a lot of money to be sitting on just because it has a fancy serial number, most fancy $100 bills sell for less of a premium when compared to lower denomination fancies because of the FV.  Not saying you couldn't find that one person to pay up for it but you may have to sit on it for a long time, and you may not ever find that person. 

Grade is the key.  Even PMG 20-30 graded Red Seal $100 bills sold for only $110 or less a decade or so ago.   AU graded they sell for $300 and in MS they sell for $500.

The higher the grade, the more likely it is worth certifiying.  Again, this is aside from any sentimental reasons one might have for the bill.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

Well i just wanted to update on my question. I sent the hundred in to graded, and its coming back to me graded at 45. the description US 2187-K2009A $100 Green (Ft. Worth) Rios Geithner FW Federal Reserve Note Dallas Binary Serial Number.  Thanks for all the input, i really appreciated the feedback. 

On 4/2/2024 at 7:44 PM, Jogarced said:

Well i just wanted to update on my question. I sent the hundred in to graded, and its coming back to me graded at 45. the description US 2187-K2009A $100 Green (Ft. Worth) Rios Geithner FW Federal Reserve Note Dallas Binary Serial Number.  Thanks for all the input, i really appreciated the feedback. 

You said it had a crease, which we couldn't see from the pics.  That's reminiscent of my PMG-45 $10 Gold Certificate which from pictures looks like it grades mid-60's but does have creases or folds which I can't see unless I really angle the light and the bill.

I guess you learned an inexpensive lesson:  if YOU can see the crease or fold or blemishes....the graders will, too xD.  Had you known it was gonna grade in the 40's, you probably wouldn't have submitted it I guess.

Moral Of The Story:  No matter how nice or crisp or fresh a bill from a teller or ATM machine....it is probably going to grade in the 40's, 50's at best.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 4/2/2024 at 9:10 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Moral Of The Story:  No matter how nice or crisp or fresh a bill from a teller or ATM machine....it is probably going to grade in the 40's, 50's at best.

Generally true but sometimes you can find uncirculated bills in an ATM, albeit in lower grades like 62-64 usually.

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

Yup like the $2 I got graded is coming back a 65 EPQ🤠, I got a band from the bank and it's was a new sequential band.🤓🤓. I'm going to send off two more to get graded I just can't decide on  which serial numbers.