• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is sample holder collectible?
1 1

21 posts in this topic

• Administrator
On 7/13/2020 at 12:32 AM, Dominic Lim said:

just a newbie question..

is sample holder collectible? do PMG regularly give this away on any of their shows/events?

thanks

There is a small market for PMG samples but these are not regularly given away at shows. PMG typically provides samples for a first time submitter (at a show) or for charitable causes. 

It also depends on the note in the holder.  Some people collect sample holders (I have some), and some people may just want the note.  Either keep it or list it.  I am sure someone will buy it if the price is right. 

I won a sample note from PMG back when they ran a trivia contest for members (yes, those were the good 'ole days).  It was a Malaysia, Bank Negara Pick #51 1 Ringgit ND (2012) PMG Unc Sample PMG Collectors Society Trivia Contest SN AG6140428 PMG 1528092-028 Sign. Z.A. Aziz, - Polymer Note

I don't have a pic to post (Sorry), but it's at least one generation removed from the current PMG holder.  It is the only sample holder in my collection.  If there's a massive groundswell of demand (i.e. 5 likes on this post ought to represent a groundswell around here), I'll dig it out and post a pic.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by ddr70
add a picture

There are certainly people that collect holders - for PMG and NGC - but they're a very small niche thing / group. Most people care about what's in the holder. A few others like me sometimes get a little type-A about wanting all the holders on coins / notes in a set to match or closely match. Even there though, for me, I only care if that set / collection is very important to me / one of my main sets / projects.

Edited by Revenant

I'll redouble my efforts :-)  What happens with 5 likes?  Do you get a badge?  Like a steamin' pile o' sheckels?  ;)

Anybody know how many PMG note holder types that PMG has used in the past 15 years?  I just know of 2--the current holder and the one before that one.

39 minutes ago, ddr70 said:

I'll redouble my efforts :-)  What happens with 5 likes?  Do you get a badge?  Like a steamin' pile o' sheckels?  ;)

Anybody know how many PMG note holder types that PMG has used in the past 15 years?  I just know of 2--the current holder and the one before that one.

I think they called the new one a gen-4 holder.

5 hours ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

Cool notes everyone.:golfclap:

Are both of those the green tinted holders?

They both seem to have the lower transmittance that is the hallmark (IMO) of the old gen, green tint holders...

Not sample holders, but the following two images were made at basically the same time using the same imaging method (cheap scanner) and the old gen holder image is just so much darker.

3315586_Full_Obv.jpg.a89e9602f7315893039795bc0c5ad937.jpg

3291984_Full_Obv.jpg.39f7d4439556b5f86d35b72d940ada15.jpg

Edited by Revenant

1 hour ago, Revenant said:

They both seem to have the lower transmittance that is the hallmark (IMO) of the old gen, green tint holders...

Not sample holders, but the following two images where made at basically the same time using the same imaging method (cheap scanner) and the old gen holder image is just so much darker.

I was pretty sure but it was a little harder to tell on the Philippine note. So glad they were able to improve the holder and get rid of the tint.:bigsmile:

On 8/29/2020 at 11:55 AM, Revenant said:

I think they called the new one a gen-4 holder.

I do remember PMG launching the "Gen 4" earlier this year but it seems like it was more of a label and sticker (hologram) change than anything. I'm not sure if the holder is Gen 4 or if the label is, or both?  https://www.pmgnotes.com/news/article/8221/new-pmg-label-and-holder/

The Gen 3 was launched in late March of 2016  https://www.pmgnotes.com/news/article/5201/PMG-Launches-New-Clearer-Holder/ 

The Gen 2 was launched back on January 3, 2011 https://www.pmgnotes.com/news/article/1918/Second-Generation-Holder/ 

Regardless, they still have a description of the PMG holder (with an image of a holder with the new label) listing the current holder/label as "Introduced in 2016, the third-generation PMG holder" which if correct would mean the current holder is still Gen 3 and the label is Gen 4? Maybe? :whatev:

79915256_Untitled.png.131e4d319c8b76d19de9309b66da853e.png

On 9/23/2023 at 1:21 PM, Navaneeth said:

Added another sample holder banknote to my collection. I hold 4 PMG samples now and 3 from other graders.

Ukraine 1 Hryvnia 2014 P116Ac.jpg

Gotta love that Ukrainian Hryvnia. I've seen this same type note used by PMG for samples given at other shows. Did you go to HICC?

Here's the same type note used for a sample in an older Gen 3 holder. It's for sale on Ebay if you're interested.

image.thumb.jpeg.53c17bcd139d8d9dd2c6bc36cf7c682e.jpeg

On 9/24/2023 at 12:59 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Gotta love that Ukrainian Hryvnia. I've seen this same type note used by PMG for samples given at other shows. Did you go to HICC?

Here's the same type note used for a sample in an older Gen 3 holder. It's for sale on Ebay if you're interested.

image.thumb.jpeg.53c17bcd139d8d9dd2c6bc36cf7c682e.jpeg

My friend visited the show and gave this to me when he came back. Thanks for the ebay link, I'll check it out.

On 9/24/2023 at 10:23 PM, Navaneeth said:

My friend visited the show and gave this to me when he came back. Thanks for the ebay link, I'll check it out.

That's just a generic link to ebay that automatically pops up but here is a LINK to the note. Actually, if you just type in PMG SAMPLE several different PMG sample notes pop up.