• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1928 A AND B'S, FRN PRICING VERSUS 1928 GOLD CERTIFICATES?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hi, just in the most basic way, obviously, being redeemable for gold.  In form both are paper facsimiles of money, value, all the same thing.  When it comes to the value of collector grade paper money, the premiums are quite different.  I have to wonder why, is it because where it says gold or the size of the word, or just simply the look of the currency did not change it was just a change of series.

Just curious?

manofwar

On 6/22/2024 at 2:49 PM, manofwar said:

Hi, just in the most basic way, obviously, being redeemable for gold.  In form both are paper facsimiles of money, value, all the same thing.  When it comes to the value of collector grade paper money, the premiums are quite different.  I have to wonder why, is it because where it says gold or the size of the word, or just simply the look of the currency did not change it was just a change of series.

Just curious?

manofwar

Only some series of 1928 FRN's were redeemable in gold and no others as far as I know, I'll assume you're talking about those. The FRN's that had the "Redeemable in Gold" clause were printed in the millions, tens of millions in some cases and are readily available to whomever wants one. Most gold certificates are exceptionally rare or don't exist, add to that that most people consider the designs on the gold certificates to be superior to those of FRN's and you have your discrepancy. Honestly, it's a simple case of supply and demand, there are no where near enough GC's for collectors and you can't shake a stick without hitting a "Redeemable in Gold" FRN.

On 6/22/2024 at 12:53 PM, manofwar said:

Do most agree there is a significant disparity between the FRN'S and other gold certificates.  Yes I spoke specifically, I do consider them the same for the obvious facts, I wonder why so many others act to the contrary?  Any thoughts?

I have a thread on the legal verbiage on different bills.  Check it out.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 6/24/2024 at 11:16 PM, manofwar said:

To the point of available material, if FRN's were equally consider gold certificates as you put it, I think the prices for the one would equalize accordingly. Just a Thought manofwaar

I don't think the convertability into gold or any gold legal verbiage is what determines the price.

It's supply and/or demand.  Gold Certificates in high grade...and low SN....and high-denomination....or any combination of those variables....leads to a high price.  There are more of the other bills, irrespective of how they are seen vis a vis gold.

Well Goldfiger1969,

You may be correct and perhaps with merit.  But to me the convertibility is exactly the pertinent difference between but also the most important issue at hand.  The different printings or artwork as it were, was the key value maker, why aren't there print multiples?

I just think it curious of why I can buy a $20.00 frn 1928 a or b at ms 66 or 67 top of the line, well try to get a 1928 gold certificate at those grades, you will need to add a grand.  I do not think there is any shortage of 28 GC'S

I could be  wrong?  OOPS!

On 6/27/2024 at 6:23 PM, manofwar said:

Well Goldfiger1969, You may be correct and perhaps with merit.  But to me the convertibility is exactly the pertinent difference between but also the most important issue at hand.  The different printings or artwork as it were, was the key value maker, why aren't there print multiples?  I just think it curious of why I can buy a $20.00 frn 1928 a or b at ms 66 or 67 top of the line, well try to get a 1928 gold certificate at those grades, you will need to add a grand.  I do not think there is any shortage of 28 GC'S I could be  wrong?  OOPS!     

The Gold Certificate is just that....created to be converted into gold and backed by gold coins, specifically Double Eagles and Eagles. (thumbsu

The FRN may or may not be converted into gold and did not have gold coin backing the notes.