• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trinary Notes
1 1

9 posts in this topic

On 6/9/2024 at 9:53 PM, TheRedStream said:

Anyone else collect trinarys and are they worth grading?

No on both counts. 

On 6/9/2024 at 9:53 PM, TheRedStream said:

So I have found alot of these

Exactly why they are not worth grading and why most collectors don't give these a second look. They are just too common to bother with and are not considered a fancy number.

On 6/10/2024 at 5:59 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Exactly why they are not worth grading and why most collectors don't give these a second look. They are just too common to bother with and are not considered a fancy number.

Yeah....a SOLITARY sole number is the highest.  Binaries still have some value because they can be quads, repeaters, etc.

But a trinary just means 3 different digits in the SN.  Now, if those repeat or something they could be worth something I guess.  Same with 4 different digits.  Or even 5. xD

On 6/10/2024 at 1:43 AM, TheRedStream said:

Yeah, that's the name people on reddit have called them.

The problem with forums like Reddit is that you can have misinformation or an unknowledgeable collector post something....and there are no veterans to correct the bad information like here and other coin-dedicated forums. (thumbsu

On 6/10/2024 at 11:44 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Binaries still have some value because they can be quads, repeaters, etc.

This another beef I have, binary notes are notes with serial numbers consisting of 1's & 0's only. That's not to take away from the uniqueness of a note with a serial number comprised of only two numerals other than 1's and/or 0's but it muddies the waters and confuses people when talking about fancy numbers, at least fancy numbers that TPG's will recognize. We need to come up with a different name for the none binary, two numeral serial numbers. A dyad note? hm A work in progress I guess. 

On 6/10/2024 at 11:44 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

But a trinary just means 3 different digits in the SN.  Now, if those repeat or something they could be worth something I guess.  Same with 4 different digits.  Or even 5. xD

Serial numbers on notes are like errors on coins, everyone thinks they have something special when in reality there is nothing there most of the time, or they are trying to make up new types of "fancy" numbers and errors.

There is a whole world out there of people trading trash like trinary, birthday/year notes, four digit "low" serial numbers, etc., back and forth and it always amazes me. Some of the new "fancy" numbers are starting to gain wider market acceptance like double quads and serial numbers under one-thousand being considered low but for the most part the large majority of these fabricated "fancy" numbers will never be accepted.  

Now if someone was to say I have a trinary radar or 2-numeral repeater, I'd be down with that.