• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody buy/collect "near misses" with Serial Numbers ?

7 posts in this topic

When I got on a buying kick for bills/currency years ago, I noticed some "close calls" with bills -- modern and old -- where a Serial Number was off by 1 (or 2) digits from being super-special.

The price for perfection was so high that I had to drop out, but I picked up a few of those "near misses" for prices (I think) somewhere between $30-$50.  Not sure what they go for now, maybe somebody knows.  Heritage used to auction them pretty frequently, at least monthly (Weekly Currency Auction, I think I was a regular for a few months).

Anyway, here's one:

2017 $1 FRN FR #3003-B PMG 67 front.jpg

2017 $1 FRN FR #3003-B PMG 67 back.jpg

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 3/4/2024 at 12:52 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

When I got on a buying kick for bills/currency years ago, I noticed some "close calls" with bills -- modern and old -- where a Serial Number was off by 1 (or 2) digits from being super-special.

The price for perfection was so high that I had to drop out, but I picked up a few of those "near misses" for prices (I think) somewhere between $30-$50.  Not sure what they go for now, maybe somebody knows.  Heritage used to auction them pretty frequently, at least monthly (Weekly Currency Auction, I think I was a regular for a few months).

Anyway, here's one:

2017 $1 FRN FR #3003-B PMG 67 front.jpg

2017 $1 FRN FR #3003-B PMG 67 back.jpg

That number definitely catches your eye when you first see it, it's a fun note. I don't personally collect near miss serial numbers but I'm sure some one would pay good money for a note with a serial number like that. I'd bet you could get triple of what you paid for it.

On 3/4/2024 at 1:30 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

That number definitely catches your eye when you first see it, it's a fun note. I don't personally collect near miss serial numbers but I'm sure some one would pay good money for a note with a serial number like that. I'd bet you could get triple of what you paid for it.

It's a nice conversation piece given the high quality and the unique SN.  I'll bet all "5's" would probably cost 5-10x as much, even for a modern.  For an older bill....SC or GC (if it exists)...probably closer to $1,000 or so.

Just like the super-low (< 10) serial number bills cost a fortune for classic bills and even pricey for moderns where you know there are more with every print run.

I wonder if BEP employees or F&F get the super-low SN bills ?  You think they are spoken for....or they go out like all the rest ?  I think there are probably employment prohibitions about getting special bills like that which are known to be worth big $$$.

On 3/4/2024 at 1:48 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I'll bet all "5's" would probably cost 5-10x as much, even for a modern.

Mmm, hm, maybe more. I'd have to take a look a some auction records but $1,000+ wouldn't surprise me for a modern U.S. solid number note in similar condition. 

For an older bill....SC or GC (if it exists)...probably closer to $1,000 or so.

I think you're underselling again, I'd bet a SC or GC solid S# note would go much higher. 

I wonder if BEP employees or F&F get the super-low SN bills ?  You think they are spoken for....or they go out like all the rest ?  I think there are probably employment prohibitions about getting special bills like that which are known to be worth big $$$.

I would think that who ever is distributing the bundles of straps for the FRBs is cashing in on the low serial numbers and fancy numbers, bank tellers will cherry pick notes too. It's all about who you know.

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
Spelling

Yeah, I think you're right, FM....I'll scour the HA and GC archives and see what they go for now. (thumbsu

I'm curious about those "cheapo" bills I bought if they have gone up in price or anything.  Probably not, since every run has more of them and they're not the most valuable SNs.

On 3/14/2024 at 12:39 AM, TheRedStream said:

Here are a couple "close calls" I found recently.

Nice finds....the "close calls" I focused on were ones where if you had 1 serial number changed the note sees a big absolute AND relative value boost in price. 

In the notes you showed, you'd have repeater quads or whatever if not for the close call.....which still usually sell for < $100. 

Still, nice finds. (thumbsu