• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BEP QUESTION
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I wonder what other folks opinions are about this and what any one has taken advantage of acquiring from the gift shop?

I also have to wonder if this concept had ever been done in the past?

The following is from the book by Whitman and Bowers: the total reading is last paragraph on page 82 and all of 83.

As my OCD takes me down this road regarding the, (The Mysterious "o"'s) as the "Plate Position Mark", mine are on silver certificates, 1935 U-I block and are consecutively numbered.

Thanks for any time and thoughts on the subject,

manofwar1

Last Paragraph, page 83, "The excellent relations between BEP and Collectors have continued and expanded since then.  Perhaps the ultimate gesture of good faith has been the printing of "error"notes, star notes ordinarily made to replace to replace defective notes, but now made in limited printing for sale at a premium to numismatists.  These products have been widely appreciated and typically the sale of limited edition products, including unusual serial numbers, star notes and the like is a quick sell out."

Edited by manofwar
better information

On 7/21/2023 at 11:13 AM, manofwar said:

As my OCD takes me down this road regarding the, (The Mysterious "o"'s) as the "Plate Position Mark", mine are on silver certificates, 1935 U-I block and are consecutively numbered.

Thanks for any time and thoughts on the subject,

I don't remember you ever posting a pic of this note, I'd be interested to see it if you get the opportunity.

Last Paragraph, page 83, "The excellent relations between BEP and Collectors have continued and expanded since then.  Perhaps the ultimate gesture of good faith has been the printing of "error"notes, star notes ordinarily made to replace to replace defective notes, but now made in limited printing for sale at a premium to numismatists.  These products have been widely appreciated and typically the sale of limited edition products, including unusual serial numbers, star notes and the like is a quick sell out."

The BEP has been printing "commemorative" notes to sell for a long time, star notes, special serial numbers, fancy serial numbers etc.. nothing new about it. Was it a new occurrence when QDB wrote the book? I assume so. Some individual's did make some good scores on early BEP commemoratives, anything now is typically in too large of quantity to be of any future value beyond what the initial sell price was. 

Thank you for posting pics of the notes, those are some beauties. There is nothing mysterious about those notes having an "O" plate position as they are all Series 1935F, Series 1935F, G, & H do go up to pp "O". This was due to a change at the BEP when they switched from 12 to 18 subject sheets. Below is a chart of the plate positions for specific subject sheets. See http://www.uspapermoney.info/general/note.html 

image.thumb.png.feb2dded9ae8d5478a765116e2a65ec2.png

On 7/21/2023 at 2:21 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Thank you for posting pics of the notes, those are some beauties. There is nothing mysterious about those notes having an "O" plate position as they are all Series 1935F, Series 1935F, G, & H do go up to pp "O". This was due to a change at the BEP when they switched from 12 to 18 subject sheets. Below is a chart of the plate positions for specific subject sheets. See http://www.uspapermoney.info/general/note.html 

image.thumb.png.feb2dded9ae8d5478a765116e2a65ec2.png

While I understand what you are saying about the fact the charts, 32 impression specifically do show how and even someone with close s n, but I for one get a it more curious when one does include the sequential numbering?

On 7/21/2023 at 7:35 PM, manofwar said:

While I understand what you are saying about the fact the charts, 32 impression specifically do show how and even someone with close s n, but I for one get a it more curious when one does include the sequential numbering?

That is how the serial numbers are applied, sequentially in each plate position. The below explains it better than I can, also why notes are always sequential in new straps from the BEP. http://www.uspapermoney.info/general/number.html

image.thumb.png.c0a50ac72f54f393362078e2071f6094.png