• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1 bill serial number L 46969698 M questions

9 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I came across this note in my change and am pretty sure it qualifies as a unique serial number. Is there somewhere online that can give an accurate value if there is one? I was also curious if there is anywhere other than eBay to sell bills or is this the preferred method? Sorry for so many questions, I am a complete newb.

$1 bill serial number - L 46969698 M

20210729_215044.jpg

20210729_215108.jpg

On 7/31/2021 at 8:39 PM, Wyrostek7 said:

Hello everyone,

I came across this note in my change and am pretty sure it qualifies as a unique serial number. Is there somewhere online that can give an accurate value if there is one? I was also curious if there is anywhere other than eBay to sell bills or is this the preferred method? Sorry for so many questions, I am a complete newb.

$1 bill serial number - L 46969698 M

20210729_215044.jpg

20210729_215108.jpg

Hello and welcome to the Forum,

I'm sorry but that is not a fancy serial #, it's very close to a rotator if instead of the 4 there was another 8 at the start of the number but beyond that nothing. Here is a link to an article describing some of the Fancy serial numbers that PMG recognizes. Fancy Serial Numbers On Currency | PMG (pmgnotes.com) That coolness factor, while fun, is total B.S. and misleads people too much in my opinion. If you're trying to use that as some sort of indicator I'd say a note needs to be over 98% cool B| and ignore all that palindrome, trinary, etc. nonsense. Also even if it were a fancy serial number condition still has a HUGE factor in determining value, if your note did have a fancy serial number it would only be worth slightly more than face value depending on the type of fancy #.

Very good information here and thank you for the link! I saw the repeating numbers and thought maybe I had something here lol. Thank you for taking time to respond and fill me in, greatly appreciated 👍

Now that I know this is a thing I am ready to go cash in a bunch of bills with no significant numbers in hopes of finding a good one lol! Thanks again!

I can't tell you how many supposed fancy numbers I see on ebay that are not but the one thing they all seem to have in common is that the coolness factor is mentioned in the description. At least more often than not from what I've seen.

Good Luck in finding a note with a Fancy Number, post it here in the Fancy Numbers thread if you find one. (thumbsu

Yes a "cool number" is not the same as a fancy number.  And most "Fancy Numbers" don't bring much on eBay.   I like to refer to this Rarity table that talks about only :"True" Fancy Numbers.   The data happens to come from the same person who put out the coolnumber site but don't let that dissuade you.   A true Fancy Number (not an ALMOST FANCY number) does have some rarity to it.  But rarity and desirability or collectability are two completely different things.   Personally serial numbers don't do much for me unless they are 99 or less.  Now those are cool!

Fancy Numbers Table - Rarity.PNG

On 8/3/2021 at 12:58 AM, David_Grand said:

Personally serial numbers don't do much for me unless they are 99 or less.  Now those are cool!

Solid serial numbers or serial numbers 10 or lower seem to pull the biggest premiums in the U.S.. I'm with you on anything under 100, those are keepers. 

Lucky #'s are a whole different ballgame, they aren't talked about much in the U.S. because not many people care but in the Asian markets they are bigtime popular. If you get the right combination of lucky numbers on a banknote, lookout, it could be worth a pretty good premium.

On 8/3/2021 at 3:38 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Lucky #'s are a whole different ballgame, they aren't talked about much in the U.S. because not many people care but in the Asian markets they are bigtime popular. If you get the right combination of lucky numbers on a banknote, lookout, it could be worth a pretty good premium.

Interesting!  I did not know that.  Thank you.