• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PMG Holders yellowing, discolored.

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

I recently purchased some banknotes from a reputable dealer.  Ive noticed that a couple of the holders have yellowed.  Has anybody seen this before?  I think the cert #'s are older than most of the notes I have in my collection.  Any help would be great.

Thanks

Ive done some more research looks like some of the older PMG holders had a blueish green tint to them.   My concern is purely for the preservation of the banknote and wether or not the holder will damage the notes because of the tint?  Does anybody have one of these older greenish holders in their collection?  Did the come like this or did the coloration of the holder happen over time?

Thanks

1 hour ago, CBS81 said:

Ive done some more research looks like some of the older PMG holders had a blueish green tint to them.   My concern is purely for the preservation of the banknote and wether or not the holder will damage the notes because of the tint?  Does anybody have one of these older greenish holders in their collection?  Did the come like this or did the coloration of the holder happen over time?

I have a few of the older generation holders with the tinting, look the same as the day they were encapsulated. While I'm not a big fan of the tinted holders, from a viewing standpoint, and I'm sure that technology has advanced enough where the newest holders are superior to the older holders, I wouldn't be in a hurry to have your notes removed and inserted into the new holders. Now if they were yellowing like you mentioned in your first post, then yes I would be worried.

Can you post a few pics of the notes/holders?

On 12/4/2020 at 2:30 PM, CBS81 said:

Hi,

I recently purchased some banknotes from a reputable dealer.  Ive noticed that a couple of the holders have yellowed.  Has anybody seen this before?  I think the cert #'s are older than most of the notes I have in my collection.  Any help would be great.

Thanks

So... You recently purchased them, but you noticed that they yellowed... How have you determined this? Did you look at them when you got them and you've noticed a dramatic yellowing in the short time since you got them? That's a problem.

Are you comparing how the note looks to how the note looks in a picture from the seller / listing? That's *probably* not a problem. Why? 1) You don't know if the seller's pictures / images were correct in rendering the color and their white balance was just right / etc. 2) You don't know if the color calibration on your monitor / screen is correct and is rendering the colors in the photo / image data correctly.

If you can show a drift in the color of a note with two images taken at different times that were made in a highly controlled way, you might have a problem. But the creation of the images for comparison has to be tightly controlled and reproducible (like scanning). The light / color profiles of bulbs / lights change and drift over time and two images made in the same place, in the same time of day (window light), with the same lights, can still be subject to different light profiles that can bias / impact your results / comparison.