• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about an F number on a 1914 blue seal $5
1 1

3 posts in this topic

I've ben saving paper money for years, now wanting to drive deeper into this hobby. I have a question about the 1914 blue seal five dollar federal reserve note. I believe the F # (Friedberg #) is determined by the signatures on each bill. The one I'm interested in is issued from the Bank of Richmond Va with the signatures of White and Mellon. I see it as F-863, but I don't know how to determine if it's F-863 A or B. There is a big price difference between the two. Can anyone help me understand how to differentiate the A from the B?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me

Mike

There are actually three varieties of FR Blue Seal notes.

A) Large letter and numeral at top right and bottom left.

B) Large letter and numeral at top right with small district letters and numerals in the other three corners.

C) Large letter and numeral positioned both vertically more towards the center of the note and closer to the outside edge. The seals on the left and right sides of the portrait are positioned closer to the center of the  than on the "A" issue.

Different sig combos will be assigned a completely new Fr. #, varieties will have a letter after the Fr. #. The "B" and "C" varieties are more valuable than the "A", with no examples of the "C" being currently known.