• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Obsolete Paper Currency - Catalog Number Source???
1 1

3 posts in this topic

PMG requires a catalog number for each note submitted for grading. I have a number of obsolete notes that I want to submit. The source referenced for these numbers is Haxby's "Standard Catalog of United States Obsolete Bank Notes, 1782-1866". This set of books was printed in 1988 and is now unavailable anywhere for purchase. This reference is also not found online or on PMG's "Resources" page. If this source is virtually unavailable, how does one obtain a catalog number for these notes............ which is required for submission?

Research each individual note via auction archives like Heritage and Stack's Bowers, they will typically list the Haxby number, or just do a general search of each note online, you should be able to find the Haxby numbers that way as well.

PMG will also accept specialized references, such as Michigan Paper Money by Lee. If all, or a majority, of the obsoletes are from one state you could look for a copy of the catalog for that state or region.

You could also try searching the PMG population report as they list catalog numbers there for the notes they've authenticated.

Much appreciated. Did some research and indeed did find all but one Haxby number I needed. Hadn't been aware of the PMG Population Reports. Looked that up and it does indeed help. Also found the series by David Bowers, "Whitman Encyclopedia of Obsolete Paper Money" and have purchased the volumes that include the notes in my collection. I saw online a photo of a page in one of those volumes that confirmed that the Haxby numbers are listed. So, I think I will be good to go! Thanks for the suggestions. Cheers.