• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 - 1923 Silver Certificate Consecutive Number Blue
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I have 2 - 1923 Silver Certificate Consecutive Number Blue that I am looking at getting graded. I need to know what level value I should get it graded at? Or if there is a value to get these graded. I don't see any fold marks so I'm thinking graded is my best route. Newbie here. Hopefully you guys can lead me into the right direction. I also have a ton of coins as well. 

433672776_949960559920709_1748793251345824118_n.jpg

433697519_1109941050255267_8282544076635389235_n.jpg

Hard to tell if there are any folds from those images. For the sake of argument let's say there are no folds in the notes, the problem is that I see discoloration/soling, rounded corners, lots of handling creases or wrinkles, and average centering. I would not send these notes to PMG for authentication and grading as they will not receive a lofty enough grade to offset the grading costs. 

A sequential pair of these sold a Heritage Auctions in December for $198, another consecutive pair with different signatures sold with a third note for $360 this month. Your notes look to be in worse condition compared to the notes sold at HA so I'd put them in the $50 - $75 range as far as value goes. 

On 3/23/2024 at 12:08 PM, powersport said:

I saw 2 on Ebay with a score of 30 go for $455. Do you think it would be graded with a score in the 30s? 

Can you provide a link to the listing? 

I saw 2 on Ebay with a score of 30 go for $455. Do you think it would be graded with a score in the 30s? 

Just guestimating....I've posted pics of my lowest-graded bill here which is my PMG-45 Gold Certificate.  That looks pristine at first glance whereas I see some dirt and folds/creases plus rounded corners on yours.  So that's why I said 30's to make sure as I doubt it gets 45 or 40.  Does look better than bills I've seen in the 20's. 

If that is true -- I assume Mike's quotes were for ungraded bills -- then you might have more of a leeway.  Ascertain if those are creases or folds -- I think they make a difference.

If it turns out the bills are each worth less than $100 and you spend $30 each to grade them, it's not a disaster.  Just be prepared.

I would try and grade your bills by giving them each a critical eye and assigning a grade based on others on Ebay, GC, or HA....then see what they sold for on those sites.  That should give you a pretty accurate ballpark estimate for the value.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 3/23/2024 at 12:30 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I assume Mike's quotes were for ungraded bills

Yep. Sorry if that wasn't clear OP. 

Ascertain if those are creases or folds -- I think they make a difference.

The notes definitely look like they have lots of creases in them, maybe the OP can side light the note and post a pic. For a note like this I'd consider a note that was trifolded over one with creases running though the whole note, the trifolds would miss the portrait and probably miss the seal and "1 Dollar" overprint. 

On 3/23/2024 at 12:30 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

If it turns out the bills are each worth less than $100 and you spend $30 each to grade them, it's not a disaster.  Just be prepared.

More if the OP is sending them in themselves and these are the only two notes on the submission. If they can find a dealer to send these in with a bulk submission then cost might not be too bad, depending on what the dealer charges to send notes in for you, even going that route the cost would still be close to $30. 

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
Spelling