• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VJ Day stamped notes
1 1

4 posts in this topic

On 2/26/2024 at 12:36 AM, Hachiko said:

Does anyone have a list of known VJ Day stamped notes? I have a $2 stamped note and was wondering if there is a list of known notes out there?

I'm assuming that you are talking about a postmarked note, if I'm incorrect on that let me know. (thumbsu

I hadn't heard of V-J Day postmarked notes before but I imagine that there are quite a few. A quick search popped up several examples on the internet. 

Having notes stamped with a postmark at the post office to commemorate a special occasion was pretty common back in the day. There are gobs of U.S. $2 notes that were posted marked for the bicentennial in '76. There is not a list documenting postmarked notes that I know of, but maybe. Collecting postmarked notes is a niche in paper money collecting, very few people, if any, focus on them as a whole.

I'd love to see a picture of the note if you get a chance to post it.

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
Spelling

On 3/1/2024 at 8:49 PM, Hachiko said:

These notes where stamped in Tokyo bay on navy ships with post offices and as far as I know not may of them are around 

I saw a few with the Tokyo Bay postage cancelation stamp, I'm not sure how rare they are but a quick search yields a few examples, enough where you should be able to roughly estimate a price and get a feel for how readily available they are.

Here is one that sold on HA in 2017, it's a $1 Hawaii note.

image.thumb.jpeg.a3173b32d2fd5f38a63e62b8d8113ceb.jpeg