• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A few amateur questions about 1934 $500 & $1000 notes
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hi. I'm just an old guy with 6 notes I submitted to PMG for their professional grading service, and have a few questions about the grading information description. If the Seal Type: Green -does this mean "light green" that I've noticed listed in the descriptions of some on auction? And one I submitted is Seal Type: DGS Mule -what does this mean? Concerning the 1934 series of $500 & $1000 how many seal types are there? Of my 6 submissions a $1000 St. Louis DGS Mule is the most intriguing, and I'm curious as to how special(?) -or not, this note might be. It's PMG cert. 2188142-004 grade 35. My sincere thanks to a kind, knowledgeable soul who might be able to answer my questions. Thank you.

On 5/16/2023 at 11:22 AM, John Naviaux said:

Hi. I'm just an old guy with 6 notes I submitted to PMG for their professional grading service, and have a few questions about the grading information description. If the Seal Type: Green -does this mean "light green" that I've noticed listed in the descriptions of some on auction? And one I submitted is Seal Type: DGS Mule -what does this mean? Concerning the 1934 series of $500 & $1000 how many seal types are there? Of my 6 submissions a $1000 St. Louis DGS Mule is the most intriguing, and I'm curious as to how special(?) -or not, this note might be. It's PMG cert. 2188142-004 grade 35. My sincere thanks to a kind, knowledgeable soul who might be able to answer my questions. Thank you.

Welcome to the forum.

DGS = dark green seal

Mule means that the plates used to print the note were not intended or should not have been paired together, usually this is a back plate paired with face plates with different signers or series number. 

I believe there are just the two seal color types light green and dark green. 

The best way to determine value is to search recent auction records (archives) for sold listings of note in similar condition. I took a quick look over at Heritage Auctions and I didn't see really see any good comps, closest I saw was a PMG 25 that sold in 2019 for $1900. Yours is a better looking note, even with the pinholes, and $500 & $1000 notes have been hot for the last year, if I was going to take a wild guess I'd say your note would be in the $2500 range, maybe higher. If you can find some more recent sales those would give you a better idea.

Thanks Mike for your reply & information about the notes and I'll follow your advice on researching completed sales of similar. The "DGS Mule" information I appreciate most, it was bugging me what that meant.

Hopefully not too soon the 6 notes are for my 2 nephews, I jokingly told their mom (my sister) I hope they don't spend it on junk cars or in bars. lol. Thanks again.

On 5/16/2023 at 7:34 PM, John Naviaux said:

Hopefully not too soon the 6 notes are for my 2 nephews, I jokingly told their mom (my sister) I hope they don't spend it on junk cars or in bars. lol. Thanks again.

This hit's home for me as I hope to leave my collections to nieces or nephews who are interested in, or are collectors. If no one is interested in keeping up the collections then...? Tough call right now for me, thankfully I, should :wishluck:, have several more years/decades before I need to make a decision.

Good luck, I hope your nephews hold onto those notes. A great remembrance for them, eventually, many years from now. (thumbsu 

I have so many items of remembrance that I cherish from family members, there is no better gift than the right gift. Whatever that may be. One of my favorites is a Ike silver dollar from my uncle Mike, pretty much worthless ($1) but priceless to me.