• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colonial Notes?

10 posts in this topic

Was going through some Family History and found some extremely rare notes. One is Silver Certificate and the other is a Confederate Note? Found them stashed in my Great Grandmother's belongings that were left to me. 

20210227_110346.jpg

On 3/5/2023 at 7:06 PM, TallMan said:

Was going through some Family History and found some extremely rare notes. One is Silver Certificate and the other is a Confederate Note? Found them stashed in my Great Grandmother's belongings that were left to me. 

20210227_110346.jpg

Those are some pretty sweet family heirlooms!

The silver certificate is not particularly rare or valuable, worth face value in that condition or MAYBE $2 on a good day. The National Banknote is a different story, I'm not a NB collector so I don't have a good feel of what the value might be for that note. The condition is terrible, although the signatures are still very nice, but if from a rare bank or if survival rates are low it could be worth over 1k, or if common it could be worth around $200. I did some quick searching and I'm not really seeing many of these come up, so I'm guessing it's on the rarer side. If I have time I'll do some more searching. 

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

On 3/6/2023 at 6:42 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Those are some pretty sweet family heirlooms!

The silver certificate is not particularly rare or valuable, worth face value in that condition or MAYBE $2 on a good day. The National Banknote is a different story, I'm not a NB collector so I don't have a good feel of what the value might be for that note. The condition is terrible, although the signatures are still very nice, but if from a rare bank or if survival rates are low it could be worth over 1k, or if common it could be worth around $200. I did some quick searching and I'm not really seeing many of these come up, so I'm guessing it's on the rarer side. If I have time I'll do some more searching. 

Alright, thanks! Found them stashed in a Family Tree book on Jefferson Davis page. I have not had any luck myself, one guy did say that the majority of the money was destroyed after the Civil War. Have coins as well closer to 1925 Liberty and some other cool items that should be in graded and put in a Museum since it was founders Items. Eben what appears to be a brass social security card. Been looking a lot of help to get at least Authenticated and done what's necessary.

20210227_105719.jpg

20210227_105709.jpg

On 3/6/2023 at 8:23 AM, TallMan said:

Alright, thanks! Found them stashed in a Family Tree book on Jefferson Davis page. I have not had any luck myself, one guy did say that the majority of the money was destroyed after the Civil War.

Just to be clear the top note is a National Bank Note, series 1902, and would have been issued after the Civil War. It is not Confederate money. 

On 3/6/2023 at 8:23 AM, TallMan said:

Have coins as well closer to 1925 Liberty and some other cool items that should be in graded and put in a Museum since it was founders Items.

Condition and rarity are king, most likely the coins were pulled from circulation and as such wouldn't be worth much. If you post a pic we'll be glad to take a look at them.

On 3/6/2023 at 8:59 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Just to be clear the top note is a National Bank Note, series 1902, and would have been issued after the Civil War. It is not Confederate money. 

Condition and rarity are king, most likely the coins were pulled from circulation and as such wouldn't be worth much. If you post a pic we'll be glad to take a look at them.

Yeah, knew the one was not a Confederate Note. The other coins were stashed as well. Will get a photo as soon as possible. Thank you again!

On 3/6/2023 at 8:59 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

20230307_063223.jpg

On 3/7/2023 at 8:53 AM, TallMan said:

20230307_063223.jpg

Looks like they are all circulation finds other than the '21 Morgan which seems to be in pretty good shape, I'm assuming these are all Philly coins. Very cool pieces but not particularly valuable, I'd keep them just as you have them. 

On 3/8/2023 at 6:52 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Looks like they are all circulation finds other than the '21 Morgan which seems to be in pretty good shape, I'm assuming these are all Philly coins. Very cool pieces but not particularly valuable, I'd keep them just as you have them. 

Alright, thanks! Yes, be likely more valued much much later. Would you happen to know someone for Historic Documents?