• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2017 - $100 Note - Questions - Serial number and print shift?

5 posts in this topic

Hello all, 

I have this $100 US note and I am not sure of two things. Please now that the note was in circulation but it still appears to be crisp to a certain degree.

Her are my two questions...

- Does the serial number in this case have anything collectibility? I know that it is not considered a low number but because of the "6969" that the rest are zeros does it add anything to the note?

- Next the note itself looks strange, the first three letters in "UNITED" are shifted down and so is the "OF" below it. Also the bottom area of the shoulder of Franklin is shifted up.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you again,

---Mark 

20220726_085335.jpg

20220726_085409.jpg

Screenshot_20220726-134448_Gallery.jpg

The serial number adds no value IMO, but the print shift looks interesting. It looks like the security strip shrunk or moved some how but just at the top and bottom, I'm not even sure if that's possible, the central areas seem to line up. I'm wondering if the note hasn't been tampered with in some way, or if this is damage. If a true error it could be worth something. If I have some extra time tomorrow I'll see if I can find something out about this.

On 7/26/2022 at 6:39 PM, mforder said:

I thought that that strip was inside the note somehow.

Sorry I should not use the term security strip for that feature, the proper term would be security ribbon. The ribbon is "woven" into the note leaving some of it exposed. 

Edited by Fenntucky Mike