• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Bahama / Allen $1 Sequential Serial Number Notes

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have a general question about some one dollar bank notes from the Bahama's. I picked these up back in 1984 while my wife and I were on our honeymoon. The notes are crisp and look brand new, there is no discoloration, blemishes or folds. The color and brightness are much better than the image show.  

I have heard different opinions as to collecting sequential serial numbers when it comes to foreign currency versus US currency. My question is, do folks care about sequential serial numbers when it comes to foreign such as in these notes, or does it not make a difference? Also, is it best to get these graded as a set? I know that some of the Bahama notes are collectible but I am not sure if these are worth the cost?

Thanks,

---Mark

Bahama Notes-2.jpg

Bahama-1a.jpg

Bahama-1b.jpg

On 7/26/2022 at 1:34 PM, mforder said:

Hello,

I have a general question about some one dollar bank notes from the Bahama's. I picked these up back in 1984 while my wife and I were on our honeymoon. The notes are crisp and look brand new, there is no discoloration, blemishes or folds. The color and brightness are much better than the image show.  

I have heard different opinions as to collecting sequential serial numbers when it comes to foreign currency versus US currency. My question is, do folks care about sequential serial numbers when it comes to foreign such as in these notes, or does it not make a difference? Also, is it best to get these graded as a set? I know that some of the Bahama notes are collectible but I am not sure if these are worth the cost?

Thanks,

---Mark

Bahama Notes-2.jpg

Bahama-1a.jpg

Bahama-1b.jpg

Most modern banknotes are released in consecutively number straps, I would assume a strap of 100 for these $1 notes, and because of that consecutive numbers are not at all rare or unusual. To me these being consecutive adds no additional premium but you might find someone who will give a little something, but not much. The same would be true for consecutively numbered, modern, U.S. notes.

They seem like nice uncirculated notes and would probably grade as such, but would they grade high enough to offset the cost of grading? These seem border line to me in that regard and I would probably just get a pack of Mylar currency sleeves and keep them in those. There are many reasons to have a note graded that are not necessarily tied to the financial side of things, such as if you collected these and was trying to assemble a registry set, they have some sentimental value, or you just want to have them graded because you like how they look, or just because, etc.. 

These notes are Bahamas Pick # 35b, over 190 graded by PMG and I would say they would need to grade at least 66 for you to turn a small profit on them.

On 7/26/2022 at 6:22 PM, mforder said:

Wow, so they aren't worth the money to get them graded.

From a strictly dollars and cents perspective they could be but would need to grade at least 66 EPQ for you to turn a significant enough profit for these to worth sending in, based on what I've seen of sold listings of the same note. It would be a gamble on your part but if they graded in the 67 or 68 range it could pay off. My gut feeling is that these notes are in the 64-66 range, but that is just a guess based on the images above. It's pretty much impossible to accurately grade a note without seeing it in person. To me they are borderline and not worth the risk/trouble, especially since I don't collect them, but we are only talking about probably $25 per note to have them graded. Not a huge gamble necessarily if you wanted to just take a chance.

On 7/26/2022 at 6:43 PM, mforder said:

To me its would be fun to see how well they do. It's worth a shot.

Good luck, hope it's a 68! (thumbsu

I'd send a few notes in at once, if warranted, this will help keep the overall cost per note down as the shipping, insurance, PMG handling fee, etc. are spread out over all note and not just one. I think U.S. and World notes have to be on separate submission forms as well.

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
More Info