• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paper Currency Collectors

4 posts in this topic

I primarily have been collecting coins for a while now but thinking about dabbling in paper currency. Looking to collect Colonial issue and some Civil war Era bills. 
However, I'm finding it really difficult to find price guides for these bills. There isn't nearly as much available to compare to as there are with coins. 

Does anyone here collect Paper Currency? If so, how do you determine whether you're paying too much for a bill and what resources do you use to compare values? 

Thanks all! 

Recent auction sales at HA, Stack's, Worldbanknoteauctions, Ebay sold notes, etc. are the best resources to determine present day value. 

Numismaster.com supposedly stays current with their pricing but you have to pay to access those numbers, same with the Banknote Book. Paper Money of the United States by Arthur and Ira Freidberg just came out with a new issue and there are specific sections on Colonial, Continental and Confederate currency along with pricing. I'd definitely recommend picking up the latest edition of Paper Money of the United States, but I'd still use recent auction sales to determine FMV.

On 2/25/2022 at 3:20 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Thanks for the assist, Mike, I never knew this place existed !!

No problem! (thumbsu 

Pretty slow here, bordering on extremely, but definitely some good content in the Journals and occasionally on the boards. PMG news, https://www.pmgnotes.com/news/ , has some pretty good weekly articles as well. 

Hope you come back and visit.