• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

World Specialized Notes

2 posts in this topic

I'm new to world currency collecting and just picked up the Standard Catalog of World Paper Money 1961-present.  I have the general issues  from 1368 on order.  I have two questions to ask the community to help me with my collection.

1.  Is the newer "General Issues" 16th edition any more helpful than an older edition?  I'm not concerned about pricing as I can research that else where. Are older notes being found or something changing other than pricing with each new edition?

2.  What is the "Specialized" edition?  

I guess I have a thrid question also.  Why is Krause out of the new stuff?  Are they only printing a limited number?  The new catalog prices are crazy high over retail pricing.

On 1/28/2022 at 11:40 AM, RB3 said:

1.  Is the newer "General Issues" 16th edition any more helpful than an older edition?  I'm not concerned about pricing as I can research that else where. Are older notes being found or something changing other than pricing with each new edition?

It depends. It's not so much that "new" old notes are being discovered, it's more that varieties are being added or taken away. To answer your question, I don't think the new edition is worth the cost of upgrading from an older edition and that your money would be better spent on a reference that focused specifically on what you are collecting.

2.  What is the "Specialized" edition?

The Specialized edition focuses on notes issued by states, armies, municipalities and companies, etc. that circulated and were used in everyday commerce in place of official government issues. Many of these were used during war time. It is worth getting the newest edition of this volume. 

I guess I have a thrid question also.  Why is Krause out of the new stuff?  Are they only printing a limited number?  The new catalog prices are crazy high over retail pricing.

Krause went belly up and I don't think they will print any new editions of the SCWPM. :( There is a website https://numismaster.com/home were the ex-Krause people still maintain and update the SCWP digitally but I find it completely useless. To me the current best reference, for moderns, is the Banknote Book https://www.greysheet.com/publications/the-banknote-book-world-paper-money which is constantly updated and useful. Both sites require a subscription to get the latest greatest info but I just update the notes that interest me real time.