• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1935-A Hawaii Silver Certificate Grade?

10 posts in this topic

I'm leaning towards no, as far as grading goes. The condition is ok, I'd probably put it at around AU55, but I believe the L-C block is one of the more desirable or harder to find and that elevates it a little. I'm thinking the condition is enough to hold it down, the center fold is a killer along with some other issues. Too bad, it's a nice note, one I wouldn't think twice about adding to a collection, and it looks like HAWAII has some really great embossing. 

On 11/11/2021 at 3:30 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I'm leaning towards no, as far as grading goes. The condition is ok, I'd probably put it at around AU55, but I believe the L-C block is one of the more desirable or harder to find and that elevates it a little. I'm thinking the condition is enough to hold it down, the center fold is a killer along with some other issues. Too bad, it's a nice note, one I wouldn't think twice about adding to a collection, and it looks like HAWAII has some really great embossing. 

Mike, what's the break-even for someone to submit through a dealer (who doesn't look to mark it up or make any $$$) on a note like this ?

This note wasn't in worn condition, not sure what generic Hawaii notes in the 50's go for but I figured the cost to grade/holder was maybe $25 (like a coin) so it would be worth it.

On 3/17/2024 at 8:59 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Mike, what's the break-even for someone to submit through a dealer (who doesn't look to mark it up or make any $$$) on a note like this ?

To me it depends on if you can recoup the grading fees and be money ahead when it comes time to sell, I don't use an arbitrary minimum dollar amount as a determining factor. Of course some people just want to have a note graded so it can be added to a registry set, regardless. (thumbsu

On 3/17/2024 at 8:59 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

This note wasn't in worn condition, not sure what generic Hawaii notes in the 50's go for but I figured the cost to grade/holder was maybe $25 (like a coin) so it would be worth it.

The grading fee alone for this note would be $37, add shipping there and back, handling fee, insurance, etc., and your looking at a sizable sum. Tough to recoup that money on a note like this.

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

On 3/18/2024 at 6:41 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

The grading fee alone for this note would be $37, add shipping there and back, handling fee, insurance, etc., and your looking at a sizable sum. Tough to recoup that money on a note like this.

My Hawaii note (I think it's my only one, have to check) is grade 67 and very low SN so that drove up the price. Hawaii notes aren't quite as numerous asSC's but in low-60's or lower grades with any SN they are pretty common so maybe only worth $10-$30 so not worth it to grade/holder as you said.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 3/18/2024 at 10:04 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

My Hawaii note (I think it's my only one, have to check) is grade 67 and very low SN so that drove up the price.  I think Hawaii notes aren't quite like SC's but in low-60's or lower grades with any SN they are pretty common so maybe only worth $10-$30 so not worth it to grade/holder as you said.

Do you have any North Africa SCs or just the Hawaii?

On 3/19/2024 at 1:01 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I paid over $200 for this one.  Hopefully it's held its value since I got it about 5 years ago :):

1935A $1 SC FR #2306 N. Africa WWII front.jpg

1935A $1 SC FR #2306 N. Africa WWII back.jpg

Another note with really good ink, the margins are a bit off on the face but I like that the cut lines are visible in the lower and right margins. Cool. 

I would assume that it's held it's value. NA and HI notes are always popular, hard to imaging that they've gone down in value but you never know.

On 3/19/2024 at 6:00 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Another note with really good ink, the margins are a bit off on the face but I like that the cut lines are visible in the lower and right margins. Cool. 

I would assume that it's held it's value. NA and HI notes are always popular, hard to imaging that they've gone down in value but you never know.

If the borders JUMP out at you, that's a bad sign and I try and avoid bills like this.  For this bill, you really need to look pretty closely to see if the borders are off.

I'll check forthcoming HA and GC auctions to see how prices are. (thumbsu