• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help please...Newbie here!

4 posts in this topic

Hello

I just started my collection with a purchase of several (over 20) 1976 $2 stamped notes from 3-4 different towns in Virgini1859958900_19762Stampeduncirculated.thumb.jpg.b8cab07cd700da98aff49f2bbb7ff864.jpga, and several $2 Texas bills with certificate of authenticity, several $2 red seal notes, several $5 & $20 notes (not sure why the person saved these, perhaps they have errors I am unaware of).  I also have purchased a 1990 $50 error note with ink bleed through, a 1957A $1 silver certificate with repeater serial number, 1995 $1 Radar bill.  

I joined the PMG and would like to get some of the bills graded.  I know all of the $2 stamped notes are in uncirculated condition along with the $2 Texas bills and the $1 Radar bill.

If anyone can help me with where to sell these...I see so many bills for sale on etsy/ebay and I just think the competition is too high there.  And I live in San Diego, do you know of any place I can take them to sell.

Thanks everyone!!!

Connie

$2 Texas note.jpg

1990 $50 Error note.jpg

$1 Silver Cert Repeater.jpg

1995 $1 Radar.jpg

Hi, 

Welcome to the Forum.

The $2 notes are novelty items and are not worth grading in my opinion, at best I would think they are only worth face value or slightly more. The $50 with ink blead through, I think you're talking about THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA above grant, I would lean towards calling that heavy embossing but I could change my mind if you post a pic of the back. In either case I don't think it would bring much of a premium. The $1 radar is nice and is typically worth under $50 at that grade. The silver certificate is not a repeater serial number, I think, as to my knowledge the entire serial number must repeat and the last two digits, "88", do not repeat with the first six digits, 528528. Sorry, not trying to rain on your parade.

It depends on the notes and condition, but Mike is correct. Don't get too discouraged, it happens. I have collected coins since the 1960's and only recently started collecting paper currency, and I did not know what I was doing or if I was paying too much. Other than lots of reading and research, I found YouTube videos helpfull. I have capture my experiences in videos (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p0ClhhRD1eI8W4IbB8NZw), and I still purchased a few that I probably would not buy now. I only started collecting paper money a few months ago, so not many videos.