• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading Disney Dollars

11 posts in this topic

Maybe. Can you post a picture of the note you think is in the best condition, front and back?

In general, having a note graded can help increase the value IF it grades high enough but the grade is 100% based on condition and too often what people think is an uncirculated note ends up being not. There are of course rarities where condition is not as important but those are few and far between.

Here’s a picture of a couple of them.  The top is a stack of 200+ bills.  I have a total of about 300 bills, 50 splash mountain in serial number sequence and 50 of each of the 4 villains ( not sequential, but some have matching numbers).  I also have an unopened pack of 25 chicken little, and another 25+ of various bills.  I purchased almost all of them myself, and they have never been anywhere other than in my house in a drawer.  I have of course handled them if for no other reason than to look at them and check the numbers.  I know nothing about collecting paper money, but after seeing what DDs go for on ebay it seems worth looking into.  Thanks in advance for all your help.   

Those look pretty good, they appear to be in good enough shape where they might benefit from grading. The Mickey looks to be a little worse off than the Splash Mountain, on the Mickey the lower left corner looks like it has a stain and the corner is rounded, the upper left corner seems rounded as well and the margins are off left to right. I'm only saying this to give you an idea of what to look for on you notes, the margins aren't a deal breaker but if that's a stain and corner damage those could be. If you did a bulk submission, 50 note minimum, it would probably run you around $20 a note, including the shipping and handling, to have them graded. I don't know enough about this series to tell you what the break even grade would be for each note but I suspect you have a few that are worth the price of grading if you know what to look for. A couple of other things to consider is you probably don't want to flood the market with similarly graded notes and you might have to sit on these for quite awhile to get top dollar after they are graded. If your just looking to turn a quick buck, I'd probably just sell them as is. Especially if you're unsure of what to look for in terms of grading notes.

Thanks, that’s really helpful. I wouldn’t have even noticed the corners without your comments.  I”m left handed so it’s possible that I touch these more on the left than the right.  The mickey is also older than the splash mountain and was never purchased with collectibility in mind.  What you said about flooding the market makes sense and I’m in no hurry to sell. I find it easier and more fun to collect than to sell.  But if they are worth grading, the sooner I do it, the better so they stay in their best condition.  I noticed there were 2 splash mountain graded that sold on ebay for over $100, and ungraded were around $25.  If I understand the cost of grading they offer reduced rates for sequential bills of 50 or more.  I’m wondering if it it’s worth paying the $299 membership and submitting my block of 50 sequential Splash Mountain bills.

9 hours ago, NTuttle said:

If I understand the cost of grading they offer reduced rates for sequential bills of 50 or more.

Yes, I've never done a bulk submission but according to the website it should run around $20 a note when it's all said and done. Others may chime in who have done bulk submissions.

9 hours ago, NTuttle said:

I’m wondering if it it’s worth paying the $299 membership and submitting my block of 50 sequential Splash Mountain bills.

For the most part it's all about the grade, high grades pull in more money. It's all about your skills as a grader or if you can find someone to help you, a local coin shop might be a good place to start. We can only tell so much from pictures having the note in hand is a must to determine grade and if I had to guess, most of your notes are on the fence and you'll have to take a cold hard look at them to make submitting worth your while, if submitting to sell and turn a profit. If your submitting for your own collecting interest it's a different story, I'd still pick out the best ones and only submit a few of each type of note, keep the best ones and sell the low end ones. I've been looking a little more and it seems like 65 is a breakeven point for the more common notes.

I'm was just clearing out a cabinet and found an old photo album from a Disney trip from '91. I came across a brand new $1 Disney Dollar inside the original money envelop. Here I am now trying to find out is it worth something...

On 5/14/2022 at 4:52 PM, Tx_Curious said:

I came across a brand new $1 Disney Dollar inside the original money envelop. Here I am now trying to find out is it worth something...

Can you post a pic of both sides? There are a lot of DD collectors out there, could be worth looking into further.

On 5/14/2022 at 6:50 PM, Tx_Curious said:

20220514_174608.jpg

Seems to be in decent enough condition, I'm slightly worried about the paper quality but for the sake of argument let's say that it's passable. The note is a DIS18, D-A block note, I took a quick look at ebay sold listings and if this graded in the 65 EPQ (exceptional paper quality) range you'd be looking at around a $100 note. Again looking at ebay sold listings, raw, this note sells for around $10. All toll, to have one note graded, you'd be looking at around $60 after totaling up the membership, grading, handling and shipping fees.