• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PMG holders damaged in mail

6 posts in this topic

I'm kind of new to the hobby.  I've collected a tiny bit over the past 40 years or so, but only recently am taking it seriously.  I've had 15 orders of PMG graded banknotes in the past month or so and today I just received the second one that was seriously damaged.  Every seller ships in envelopes (not boxes) including very respected dealers.

One envelope damaged by the  USPS (with two notes), another was shipped from China and was damaged by FedEx.  Both sellers have a lot of experience in selling banknotes.  I don't know if I'm very unlucky. I do notice that shipping is getting less reliable during the COVID-19 crisis, but still.

Any thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

Thank you very much for your comment.  What I'm trying to figure out is how often the holders are damaged in the mail.  I would prefer people ship in boxes, but that appears not to be standard practice.

I don't know if this will help. But when I ship my paper money. I take thick cardboard and lay it out so it's side by side. And use wide scotch tape and tape the two halves together, then put the money in the plastic sleeve, then fold the cardboard and Gently fold it together with money inside, then put it in a padded envelope and mark the envelope. "Do not bend" on both sides. For me, all this weighs less than 2 oz and ship USPS first class mail with insurance. I think the first $50. insurance is free. Then I ship signature required with a tracking number. I have never had a problem yet.