• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Large Denomination Bills: $500...$1,000....$5,000....and more !!

5 posts in this topic

I remember that article from the Greensheet that noted that during Covid many newcomers armed with $$$ were bidding on lower-quality bills (and coins) with everything else but online bidding shut down and nothing else to do.

The article talked about the fact that the newcomers were getting sticker shock from gold and higher-priced coins and currency....but silver and lower-priced bills they were attracted to.

Tonight I saw a 25-VF grade $500 bill go for $1,400 ($1,680 w/bp) which off the top of my head seems like a big increase from a few years ago.  I thought low-graded $500's were $750-$900.....in the mid-60's they were closer to $3,000.  Have to see what MS bills are selling for now; it appears prices have continued to rise in this niche sector.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 6/12/2024 at 6:42 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

$500 & $1,000 notes have been hot over the last year or so from what I've been reading, $1,700 for a VF25 seems a little high to me but not out of line. A mid 60's note might be close to five figures now but a 58 looks to be closer to 3k.

I will post more $500 and $1,000 bills from last night's HA auction later.  But I remember mid-60's $500 bills going for about $3,500 or so back in 2019.  Don't recall the prices for $1,000 bills.

Posted (edited)

For $500 bills....figure in the 50's grades you have to pay a total price (w/bp @ HA) of about 6-8x face value, low-to-mid $3's depending on how high in the 50's the grade is and other features (i.e., LGS vs. DGS).

For 60's grades...figure a total cost of about 10-12x face value depending on how high and any special features.

Edited by GoldFinger1969