• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cambodia P-13b 100 Riels 1972 Serial Number
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I just got this Cambodian P-13b 100 Riels 1972 .  PMG says the serial number is "211 625680", but I cannot figure out where they are getting the "211" from?   I do see on the front bottom left the Khmer   "ប១" which is "Baa 1"  or "B1", but no where do I see "២១១" which is 211 in Khmer. Can anyone point out where they are getting the "211" from.  Thank you.

image.thumb.png.50ec50ac07a1f9fafae35a1a414722e3.png

Edited by mmmmm

Posted (edited)

So I was looking at other Cambodian banknotes that have been graded by PMG, and the results are sad.  It appears that nearly every Cambodian banknote that PMG has graded, they have put the wrong serial number on the label. I am guessing that what they are doing is looking at a chart of the Cambodian alphabet characters and instead of putting down the actual letter they are putting down the row "number" for that letter. 

For Example: ថថ is not 1818.    is a letter. It is however, considered by some to be the 18th letter in the Cambodian alphabet. The chart PMG is using must have  as the 18th letter.

image.png.a893be72020f488db8206b96c5fd142e.png

In this case, the កគ, which is not 13,  is the first letter and third letter of the alphabet.

image.png.d6e94c0181ba28f26bf644455e8bddcb.png

So for my original posting the  "ប១" is interpreted by PMG by looking up the letter  "ប" on a chart and finding it at the position 21 letter, and then  "១" which is not a letter but rather it is a number, they put the number one.

image.png.143e14e1401ac19cc964ccf1ad8986c6.png

This is lame.

On Bangladesh notes, they sometimes don't bother with the prefix. In this case the serial number should have at least a   in front of it. Which is "ñ" 

image.png.733325cc95b398320eeae0b993125a4c.png

Edited by mmmmm

So now the question is, will PMG fix this on existing and will they continue to put the wrong serial number on their tags.  What they should do is not even try to translate the serial number.  The should print it as it is.   The printers can handle it.  And they should correct all existing for free.

Posted (edited)
On 6/8/2024 at 8:40 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Ask how they determine/translate the prefix in the Ask PMG section of the forum, see what they say.

This topic was originally posted on May 18th in the "Ask PMG" section, but was not approved for others to see until yesterday June 7th.and the post was moved into this "US and World" section. In the 22 days of the post you are the first to reply. 

The question is how are they are going to fix all the incorrect serial numbers that they did wrong and what are they going to do in the future so they don't make the same mistakes.

Edited by mmmmm

On 6/8/2024 at 9:08 PM, mmmmm said:

The question is how are they are going to fix all the incorrect serial numbers that they did wrong and what are they going to do in the future so they don't make the same mistakes.

I don't know enough about the subject to say if the labels are or are not wrong. Bottom line is that PMG is not going to do anything about the notes that have left their facility and if at some point someone asks PMG about the labeling and PMG does determine that they do need to label these note differently going forward they will only correct notes that have already been labeled on a case by case bases as they are brought to their attention by the owners. The other thing I've noticed is that PMG almost never labels notes with anything other than English or Roman characters, highly doubtful that they would ever change that policy. 

I would email PMG or call customer service, you're not going to get anywhere with PMG unless you contact them direct. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/9/2024 at 9:41 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I don't know enough about the subject to say if the labels are or are not wrong.

It is easy enough to translate them.  Also, to confirm I asked multiple people who speak Khmer (the Cambodian language) and they also confirmed that the translation is wrong.

Bottom line is that PMG is not going to do anything about the notes that have left their facility

Yeah, that seems to be the way of PMG when dealing with things that they mislabeled.

I would email PMG or call customer service, you're not going to get anywhere with PMG unless you contact them direct. 

True, so far just echo's.  I will try again.

The other thing I've noticed is that PMG almost never labels notes with anything other than English or Roman characters, highly doubtful that they would ever change that policy. 

If that is the policy, then they should translate the words correctly. But the problem with translating to English is that some languages don't have a one to one letter.  So they are better off not translating and using the original language.

They should also, correct their mistakes.

Edited by mmmmm

On 6/10/2024 at 5:28 AM, mmmmm said:

They should also, correct their mistakes.

It would be nice, or at least label everything correctly going forward. I also agree that using characters/letters in the native language used on the note would be better than trying to translate, I've wanted PMG to do that for years.