• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1985 $20 Crisp and Clean
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I don't go out of my way for notes but I do collect if I find something. Found this basically and I say "basically" because I don't know much about alignment of bills, paper quality etc pristine crisp 1985 $20

Was just curious if it is worth grading or not. What the value could be since it doesn't have any fancy serial numbers etc. just amazing condition. Thank you for your information and or opinions.

Clipped_image_20240429_201635.thumb.png.3c80f2ab24aa9bdcf1a5e16bd2476736.pngClipped_image_20240429_201624.thumb.png.42ba4d4b51f20a1eca843278e74917ad.png

On 5/1/2024 at 4:42 PM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

don't go out of my way for notes but I do collect if I find something. Found this basically and I say "basically" because I don't know much about alignment of bills, paper quality etc pristine crisp 1985 $20

Was just curious if it is worth grading or not. What the value could be since it doesn't have any fancy serial numbers etc. just amazing condition. Thank you for your information and or opinions.

Clipped_image_20240429_201635.thumb.png.3c80f2ab24aa9bdcf1a5e16bd2476736.pngClipped_image_20240429_201624.thumb.png.42ba4d4b51f20a1eca843278e74917ad.png

Welcome to the other side NEC. Don't get much crossover here for some reason, you would think more coin collectors would have some interest in notes as well. 

The note and sig combo is pretty common so the note would have to grade astronomically high to recoup the grading fees. The note has average centering and the ink appears light or faded in the images, I have a hard time imagining the note going over 65-66 which is not high enough to justify grading. 

While it's basically impossible to grade a note from images as there are several factors to consider which require that the note be in hand such as paper quality, embossing, etc., but it is possible to guestimate a general range in which one thinks the note might land. It's also necessary to view the note with side lighting as that will reveal hidden creases and folds that may not be visible in an image or in hand under normal lighting. 

On 5/3/2024 at 7:15 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

The note has average centering and the ink appears light or faded in the images, I have a hard time imagining the note going over 65-66 which is not high enough to justify grading. 

While it's basically impossible to grade a note from images as there are several factors to consider which require that the note be in hand such as paper quality, embossing, etc., but it is possible to guestimate a general range in which one thinks the note might land. It's also necessary to view the note with side lighting as that will reveal hidden creases and folds that may not be visible in an image or in hand under normal lighting. 

Yeah I thought there would be more people over on this chat too lol Thank you for the info! I will try to view with side lighting to further inspect. 

How much do you think this bill would be valued at 65/66 out of curiosity? Also if this was graded 67 or up what would that range? I didn't have much luck looking up values..regardless it was a neat find and I will keep it with my other notes. 

On 5/3/2024 at 8:58 AM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

How much do you think this bill would be valued at 65/66 out of curiosity? Also if this was graded 67 or up what would that range? I didn't have much luck looking up values..regardless it was a neat find and I will keep it with my other notes. 

Did a quick search over at HA and I'd estimate $30 - $50 if graded 65/66. Try searching by the Friedberg number, Fr. 2075-B, that should pull up a bunch of examples. 

Edited by Fenntucky Mike