• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unmounting Notes
1 1

2 posts in this topic

I recently got these off of auction. While I was only interested in the Cambodian note, the Congo notes are very cool to see in person.

For those more experienced than I, would it be worth it to try and unmount these notes? Should I try and find a professional or is this something I can do on my own with little risk of damaging the notes? If I do unmount them, I would intend to submit them for grading. Another question, would these be considered proofs? When I was originally bidding, I thought I was bidding on 3 notes that had been previously mounted. (Not 6 mounted notes, where only one side was printed).

congo5.jpeg

congo10.jpeg

cambodia.jpeg

On 4/14/2024 at 7:59 PM, Oolong said:

I recently got these off of auction. While I was only interested in the Cambodian note, the Congo notes are very cool to see in person.

For those more experienced than I, would it be worth it to try and unmount these notes? Should I try and find a professional or is this something I can do on my own with little risk of damaging the notes? If I do unmount them, I would intend to submit them for grading. Another question, would these be considered proofs? When I was originally bidding, I thought I was bidding on 3 notes that had been previously mounted. (Not 6 mounted notes, where only one side was printed).

congo5.jpeg

congo10.jpeg

cambodia.jpeg

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know the value of such notes but having a professional remove them may not be worth the expense, if the price tag for these is relatively low I would maybe try removing them myself. If removed from the mounting PMG will most likely label them as specimens with the annotation of having been previously mounted. Uniface specimens are not all that uncommon and since yours are all either perforated or overprinted with the word specimen I think there is little doubt that PMG would label them as such. If removed successfully there will always be evidence/signs on the note that it was previously mounted whether you do it yourself or have a professional do it. 

If the notes were successfully removed from the mounting and sent to PMG I would consider paying a little extra to have them encapsulated in a dual holder to keep the two halves together.