• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ink And Felt Mark On Bill - What % Is The Value Reduced By?
1 1

2 posts in this topic

From what I have read so far, if a banknote is graded it will just get a "Details" grade with a short blurb of what damage the bill has if there is handwriting of any kind on the bill.

I have the opportunity to buy a bill from someone, BUT, the bill has writing (a "75" to the right of the seal) and a red felt mark just touching the top of the 2nd last digit of the serial number and is about "2 digits' wide.

Question is, HOW MUCH percentage-wise is the value of a bill (in general) reduced by pen or felt marks? So far I have only seen it described as "Significantly", but are we talking 50%... 75%... more?

2023-10-03 17_24_26-Window.png

On 10/3/2023 at 5:29 PM, Project2013B said:

From what I have read so far, if a banknote is graded it will just get a "Details" grade with a short blurb of what damage the bill has if there is handwriting of any kind on the bill.

I have the opportunity to buy a bill from someone, BUT, the bill has writing (a "75" to the right of the seal) and a red felt mark just touching the top of the 2nd last digit of the serial number and is about "2 digits' wide.

Question is, HOW MUCH percentage-wise is the value of a bill (in general) reduced by pen or felt marks? So far I have only seen it described as "Significantly", but are we talking 50%... 75%... more?

This shouldn't details grade but it will receive a mention on the holder of "annotations" and probably won't get EPQ. Both of which will decrease the value, by how much it's hard to say but based on what I can see of the condition of the note in the image you posted probably not too much as it appears to be heavily circulated. I'm assuming that this is one of the duplicated S# notes and that you have the match to it? That adds another layer but I would start with what is the overall condition of the note, forget about the annotation and mark for now, the note in the pictures seems to be in VF 35 range and I don't think the marks devalue it too much more because the overall condition is not great. Certainly not 50-75% in my mind.