• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2013 Insufficient Ink $1 Question
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I recently inherited a few bills and coins.  I've done some studying (sold items on eBay mostly), but not enough to know about the printing process and how the ink is applied to know if this is even possible on a bill. I assume people try and counterfeit "insufficient ink" notes just like they do everything else. I'm hoping this is a good enough photo that someone can tell me if this has any obvious signs that it's not legit. This might be a good first note for me to have graded. Thanks in advance.

P1030886.thumb.JPG.94b8150b89e9081b27353b911fa5904a.JPG

P1030887.thumb.JPG.a30f238205d260b9dfb360f663678cdb.JPG

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Cool note!

I really couldn't say weather or not this is an authentic insufficient ink error with 100% certainty, but for the most part it seems ok other than the treasury seal. I don't like how it appears lighter in color than the rest of the overprint, seals and serial numbers, as this is the only overprint that is placed over the second printing "ONE". I'm also a little skeptical of how uniform the insufficient inking is across the entire face, I think it is more common for there to be darker and lighter areas of ink on such an error. If the note is an actual error it's probably worth in the $200-$300 range. If you have a local coin/paper money shop nearby I'd probably take it into them for an opinion. 

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
Grammar

On 4/26/2023 at 5:33 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Cool note!

I really couldn't say weather or not this is an authentic insufficient ink error with 100% certainty, but for the most part it seems ok other than the treasury seal. I don't like how it appears lighter in color than the rest of the overprint, seals and serial numbers, as this is the only overprint that is placed over the second printing "ONE". I'm also a little skeptical of how uniform the insufficient inking is across the entire face, I think it is more common for there to be darker and lighter areas of ink on such an error. If the note is an actual error it's probably worth in the $200-$300 range. If you have a local coin/paper money shop nearby I'd probably take it into them for an opinion. 

Thanks very much for your time and feedback!

On 4/26/2023 at 10:19 AM, Frank Boston said:

I recently inherited a few bills and coins.  I've done some studying (sold items on eBay mostly), but not enough to know about the printing process and how the ink is applied to know if this is even possible on a bill. I assume people try and counterfeit "insufficient ink" notes just like they do everything else. I'm hoping this is a good enough photo that someone can tell me if this has any obvious signs that it's not legit. This might be a good first note for me to have graded. Thanks in advance.

P1030886.thumb.JPG.94b8150b89e9081b27353b911fa5904a.JPG

P1030887.thumb.JPG.a30f238205d260b9dfb360f663678cdb.JPG

dumb ways to die 

Excellent piece, with a lot of useful information.