• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976 $2 bill

2 posts in this topic

On April 13, 1976, the new $2 Federal Reserve Notes was issued.  Many Collectors gathered $2 bills, placed a 13¢ stamps, and went off to the Post Office to get a postal cancellation stamp, dated on that first day of issue”.

Here’s a $2 dollar bill dated April 12, 1976 cancelled one day before the official issuance of the 1976 $2 bill dated by the  USPS. There’s no other $2 bill like this.

Can you give me a estimated value? Appreciate it.

87543E9C-3083-4BAB-877A-B1650D4C32C3.jpeg

On 3/17/2023 at 8:33 PM, vinhen said:

On April 13, 1976, the new $2 Federal Reserve Notes was issued.  Many Collectors gathered $2 bills, placed a 13¢ stamps, and went off to the Post Office to get a postal cancellation stamp, dated on that first day of issue”.

Here’s a $2 dollar bill dated April 12, 1976 cancelled one day before the official issuance of the 1976 $2 bill dated by the  USPS. There’s no other $2 bill like this.

Can you give me a estimated value? Appreciate it.

While having a '76 $2 with a cancelation stamp prior to the 13th is desirable, it is not unusual to come across them. Notes with cancelation dates of April 2nd, 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th can be found. Long story short, some bank personnel, at local banks, were known to release some notes prior to the 13th and some post office personnel would stamp the notes with dates prior to the 13th if asked and some just forgot to change the date on the cancelation stamp. As far as value, the best place to check would be sold listings at auction. I took a quick look over at Heritage Auctions and they had a lot of three graded '76 $2 notes, with two of them bearing cancelation stamps prior to April 13th, (2nd and 9th respectively), the lot of three graded notes sold for $129 in July of last year. Based on that information I would estimate the value of your note to be around $20. I'm not a collector of these but if it is rare to find these from that post office the note could bring more.