• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Confederate Note Source?

5 posts in this topic

What have you found to be the best source of Confederate notes of mid-grade quality? I'm a poor guy so no 60's notes for me. No crumpled up, prune-like notes with missing pieces and tape either. Just respectable notes that are obviously not of the highest quality but look nice enough to display. 

On 3/1/2023 at 11:02 AM, PlugNickle said:

What have you found to be the best source of Confederate notes of mid-grade quality? I'm a poor guy so no 60's notes for me. No crumpled up, prune-like notes with missing pieces and tape either. Just respectable notes that are obviously not of the highest quality but look nice enough to display. 

If you're already familiar with CSA notes probably the best one-stop place to shop online would be ebay. If I remember correctly most CSA notes are readily available and won't break the bank in the condition you're looking for but, there are a lot of reproductions out there so acquiring a few good reference books would be at the top of my list of things to do prior to buying anything. If you're able to make a few local coin shows and/or have a local coin shop near by those would be good places to go prior to buying any notes as well.

Thank you for the reply Fenntucky Mike. I do have Pierre Fricke's excellent book on Collecting Confederate Paper Money (2014). Updated from the 2008 version which I used for years. Also Mr. Tremmel's Counterfeit Confederate Currency that is very helpful as well. I have other books U.S. coins and currency too.

Ebay seems to be about the best place for me if I'm cautious and patient. I do find people tend to get in a bidding frenzy and go overboard on many items. I'm disabled so I don't have a lot of money to spend and can't travel as much as I'd like but I enjoy the challenge of trying to find a decent note at a good price. Keeping an eye out for a local coin show is about my only option now as the only coin shop in town folded. 

Thanks for the advice and happy hunting!

On 3/2/2023 at 12:26 PM, PlugNickle said:

Ebay seems to be about the best place for me if I'm cautious and patient. I do find people tend to get in a bidding frenzy and go overboard on many items. I'm disabled so I don't have a lot of money to spend and can't travel as much as I'd like but I enjoy the challenge of trying to find a decent note at a good price. Keeping an eye out for a local coin show is about my only option now as the only coin shop in town folded. 

There are a lot of other auction and selling platforms out there but the problem with them most of the time is that they are usually selling top dollar stuff which attracts deep pockets, sometimes things fall through the cracks and you can score a deal but those days are few and far between. Ebay has a lot of garbage, tricksters, and pitfalls but if you can sift through it all and be patient there are plenty of good sellers and good notes at fair prices to be had.

Heritage, Stack's Bowers, Ira & Larry Goldberg, are a few U.S. auction sites that will frequently have CSA notes, I also like to search on sixbid and onebid to see what other auction houses, specifically overseas, might have. You're better off sometimes looking at overseas auction sites for U.S. material.