• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is This Note Genuine?

5 posts in this topic

I have this Obselete $5 Note from Citizen's Bank of Louisiana.  It has "extra" paper on the sides and top of the note.   The top also has a "?Cenetering Mark?"  on it.

I have been told that this is a fake note because of the extra paper.   I bought this from Littleton Coin Co. many years ago.   (Labeled as CR#109)

My question is whether this is a little seen feature or a bogus copy?

IMG_1810.JPG

On 8/11/2022 at 3:21 PM, Mincemoyer said:

I have this Obselete $5 Note from Citizen's Bank of Louisiana.  It has "extra" paper on the sides and top of the note.   The top also has a "?Cenetering Mark?"  on it.

I have been told that this is a fake note because of the extra paper.   I bought this from Littleton Coin Co. many years ago.   (Labeled as CR#109)

My question is whether this is a little seen feature or a bogus copy?

IMG_1810.JPG

Hello and welcome to the PMG forum. 

The extra paper wouldn't bother me one bit, neither does the centering mark, notes were typically shipped as four subject sheets at the time and cut out then signed as they were issued. With this being a remainder the extra paper being present has a legitimate reason for it still being attached. Now, this very well could have been cut from a sheet by Littleton and sold as is. Got a pic of the back? To me it seems legit.

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

On 8/12/2022 at 1:23 PM, Mincemoyer said:

Thank you for the reply.   Does having the remainder give the note any more value?   I also have downloaded the reverse of the note.

IMG_1815.JPG

A remainder is a note that was never issued/released which lessens the value normally when compared to issued notes in similar condition, outliers would be if the note was in uber condition or is a rarity, this note is neither. The selvage, uncut paper from the sheet, adds some value IMO but not too much.

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
Spelling