• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is there no current US Treasurer with Yellen as Sec of Treasury?

3 posts in this topic

So this is NOT a political post or discussion.  It's straight up a filling in the blank question asking why hasn't our new Secretary of Treasury Janet Yellen and President Biden not appointed a new US Treasurer ie the signature/name on the left side of US notes.  Anybody in DC know?  Anybody at PMG have connections at the Mint/Treasury know?  The US should be printing new notes with Yellen's Sec of Treasury signature on the lower right.  I read that she did submit her official signature for new bills.  But they can't start printing without an appointed Treasurer who's name is on the lower left.  It's not legal tender without signatures, very old law.  Again, not a political poke.  Is there a real answer?  Never heard of this happening before in history.  Apparently they just keep printing Mnuchin notes series 2017.  Weird.  

Edited by Colleen Egan

A new Treasurer was appointed about a month ago, Chief Lynn Malerba, I'm not sure if she is officially on the job yet but notes with new signatures should start being issued in about 8-12 months, I would think. There is always a gap, months/years, before individuals are nominated/appointed and signatures appearing on notes. I think it took about 9 months before Mnuchin/Carranza notes were printed. My guess is that this was low on the list of things to do or has been in the works for sometime and the administration wanted to get the newly established Office of Tribal and Native Affairs off and running first and the appointment to coincide with that. At any rate, notes with the new signatures should be showing up in the very near future.

Excellent info!  Thanks, I must have missed the appointment announcement.  I look forward to seeing the new notes/sigs soon.  Biden has been on office almost 2 years this just seemed to be taking forever I guess.  

Edited by Colleen Egan