• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New collector have a question about my 20 dollar bill

2 posts in this topic

On 6/25/2022 at 1:29 PM, Macari stuart said:

I have always heard a bill can be detereminded a collectors item by its serial number, error, or shape of bill. I have a $20 bill that has only 3 numbers repeating itself in the front and back but not the middle out of the whole serial number.. also i know it’s not in good condition 

image.jpg

Condition, a Fancy Number and an error can all add value to a note, unfortunately the one pictured does not check any of those boxes, the serial number is not a fancy serial number. If the 0 was a 2 then you would have a radar [fancy] serial number (22622622). If the note did have that fancy number it would increase the value minimally, couple bucks maybe, the condition of the note would prevent it from being worth more. 

Some fancy numbers are somewhat common, radars are one of them, and really don't bring much of a premium unless the note is pristine, sometimes not even then. Others like a serial number of 10 or less or solid 9's are much rarer and bring much higher premiums, regardless of condition. Here is a link to an article from our hosts on what serial numbers are considered fancy with examples of the numbers. Not every fancy number is listed in the article but it gives you a good idea of what to look for.

https://www.pmgnotes.com/news/article/5901/Fancy-Serial-Numbers-On-Currency/ 

Edited by Fenntucky Mike