• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hard Case for a single banknote?

4 posts in this topic

Is there such a thing as a hard case for a banknote that is already in a PMG graded cover? Seems that the PMG cover allows some bending so was thinking putting it into a hard case would be good idea. Thoughts?

(1934 thousand dollar Federal Reserve Note, grade 64)

On 6/12/2022 at 7:15 PM, Shellie Jean said:

Is there such a thing as a hard case for a banknote that is already in a PMG graded cover? Seems that the PMG cover allows some bending so was thinking putting it into a hard case would be good idea. Thoughts?

(1934 thousand dollar Federal Reserve Note, grade 64)

I'm sure somebody makes one or you could make your own out of a couple of pieces of Lexan and sandwiching the note and holder in between. Or maybe place it in a picture frame for displaying purposes. There is any number of ways to do what you are describing.

The holder can become a bit distorted, especially if it wasn't stored properly and/or exposed to heat, but in general I haven't seen anything that I've been concerned about. I like to put a protective sleeve over my PMG graded notes to protect the holder from scuffs and scratches, then I like to store mine in a holder like the one in the image below. You can fit a lot of graded notes in one of these and it doesn't take up much space. My raw notes are placed in appropriately sized sleeves, 

image.jpeg.c8a5af516047923a3ba459290adc460d.jpeg

image.jpeg.6460b1d20b604447014c625d3de2170a.jpeg

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

On 6/13/2022 at 1:48 PM, Shellie Jean said:

Is that the best material to use? Want to prevent aging of PMG sleeve and note…..

I'm not sure of what the PMG holder is made of so I can't say definitively that it is the best, but my guess is that it would be fine. They also have scratch and UV resistant types of Lexan or other similar plastics.

On 6/13/2022 at 1:48 PM, Shellie Jean said:

Also like the idea of a sleeve to at least protect the sleeve. 

One of the best things I ever did, now all of the TPG holders for my graded notes stay clean and scratch/scuff free. :cloud9: