• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question About The $1 2013 Chicago Star Note (S)

4 posts in this topic

Hello all!
I kind of stumbled onto something this morning. Not sure if this is an error on the Bep side but here goes!

I was just organizing all my $1 star notes (around $700) by number order and I saw that two of the stars on the upper right side are printed a little higher up compared to the other 700 $1 notes I have.

I also noticed that both were 2013 series in the "G" Chicago district. I also noticed that both notes has the same Face plate number and Plate position number.

Do you think this is an actual error or is common? If it's an error do you think it's rare? Below are the pictures of the front and back of the notes.

52070603691_4cfc20fc5b_c.jpg

52069557172_b5f57fac6d_c.jpg

It's similar to a "gas pump" error in that the star is misaligned with the rest of the seral number. If a portion of the star was missing, or you could see the top of the "A" it might be worth a premium, but as is I don't think you'd get much over face for it. That it's a star note and that it's the star that is misaligned could cause the price to go up from what I'm thinking. I believe this would be called a stuck digit error,.

image.png.d23bd88deb974008ed2e9d810ef49d4d.png

On 5/13/2022 at 4:37 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

It's similar to a "gas pump" error in that the star is misaligned with the rest of the seral number. If a portion of the star was missing, or you could see the top of the "A" it might be worth a premium, but as is I don't think you'd get much over face for it. That it's a star note and that it's the star that is misaligned could cause the price to go up from what I'm thinking. I believe this would be called a stuck digit error,.

image.png.d23bd88deb974008ed2e9d810ef49d4d.png

Do you think its worth grading or not?

On 5/13/2022 at 5:07 PM, luckyrollers said:

Do you think its worth grading or not?

I'm not an error collector, or a U.S. currency collector, but based on the condition, how minor it is, and the relative frequency with which this happens on regular notes I'd say no. If you check around on auction sites and look at sold items/archives and find a close match that has sold recently, that could give you an idea of value. My gut feeling is that this is no big deal.