• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking For Some Assistance.
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I'm wondering if anyone has an old version of the Standard Catalog of World Paper Money - General Issues, I have the 16th edition and under Ukraine Pick # 40 it has the following description "#40 has been merged into #35". I'm pretty sure I know what they did but I would like to get a transcript of the description for Pick # 40 before it was merged with # 35 to verify what I think they did. I have no idea when this happened otherwise I'd just buy the volume myself, so I'm hoping someone can help me out. 

Thanks in advance,

FM

8 hours ago, Love Collection said:

Hi Mike,

this is from the 12th edition I hope it’s what you are looking for!

DC58C577-E4F3-45BF-AF07-809BECEC4A10.jpeg

That is perfect my friend, Thank You!

Well that is not at all what I thought it would be, I can understand combining the two Pick #s but to not transfer the linked stars watermark to Pick # 35 as variety "c" is very strange to me. I had originally thought that Pick 40 may have been the zig zag lines of varnish variety and they just combined it with P35 as variety "b" but nope, they pretty much deleted it and didn't feel a different watermark deserved a variety for some reason. I can make a very strong argument that there are five varieties of this note and I will in an upcoming Journal entry.

Thanks again.

12 hours ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

That is perfect my friend, Thank You!

Well that is not at all what I thought it would be, I can understand combining the two Pick #s but to not transfer the linked stars watermark to Pick # 35 as variety "c" is very strange to me. I had originally thought that Pick 40 may have been the zig zag lines of varnish variety and they just combined it with P35 as variety "b" but nope, they pretty much deleted it and didn't feel a different watermark deserved a variety for some reason. I can make a very strong argument that there are five varieties of this note and I will in an upcoming Journal entry.

Thanks again.

No worries Mike, 
I’m glad I could help 👍👍

It’s a little frustrating how SCWPM does their varieties…on the older Nicaragua notes they give an A, B, C etc for different signature varieties. However on the most recent 1990 issues (that has a signature variety) they acknowledge the varieties yet don’t assign a letter. However the banknote book does recognise them and gives them an a & b!

And there is no mention of serial number varieties at all in SCWPM yet banknote book makes an effort to mention some (not all!!) of them! 🤦‍♂️

003DD0BB-16FB-4189-B189-0A90399A8EB5.jpeg

2749AE1A-E0CF-4BD4-99D9-DC1B5C968A62.jpeg

13 hours ago, Love Collection said:

It’s a little frustrating how SCWPM does their varieties…on the older Nicaragua notes they give an A, B, C etc for different signature varieties. However on the most recent 1990 issues (that has a signature variety) they acknowledge the varieties yet don’t assign a letter. However the banknote book does recognise them and gives them an a & b!

And there is no mention of serial number varieties at all in SCWPM yet banknote book makes an effort to mention some (not all!!) of them! 🤦‍♂️

I think Banknote Book is a better reference than SCWPM but it's good to have both, I pity the people who only work off of SCWPM. I do like SCWPM and appreciate the work put into, it's a great reference and my go to when I just want to check something out real quick, but it's not intended as "the be all end all" for research. I dislike how they handled the Pick #'s, for Ukraine, and I wish PMG didn't lean on the SCWPM so much as a reference, but the Pick #'s are the #1 identifier for world notes by PMG and the SCWPM issues them so what do you do.(shrug) Since Krause went belly up and Penguin purchased them I haven't heard if there will be any new issues coming out? I guess there must be as PMG seems to be coming up with new Pick #'s.

Here's the linked stars watermark that the SCWPM didn't assign/removed a Pick #.

579241146_447599_3b-Copy.jpg.b1325baec53bab9fe7c4256d51314dec.jpg

It's a little hard to see the full layout so I laid it out real quit with a marker, the red helps show the larger overlapping/linked stars in addition to the smaller six pointed linked stars in a hexagon. 

2024738881_SketchedWatermark1-Copy.png.3b74c7a5ad5560d05ca69b9f13af5604.png

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
Spelling

At this point I'd prefer if PMG used the Banknote Book as their standard reference. I think the SCWPM is going to be left in the dust by BB if they don't get their act together. 

Uh oh, I took a look around and and it seems that, as of May 26th 2021, CDN Publishing purchased Banknote Book and that you can no longer purchase individual chapters. It is only available as a yearly subscription through greysheet.com at $99 a year, that STINKS! It looks like you might be able to find some chapters through certain sellers and there are few still on ebay but that's pretty disappointing. :frustrated: