• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Problem with my graded 65epq bill

7 posts in this topic

I have a 1914  5 dollar blue seal cleveland district bill graded 65epq. There seems to be a ripple across the top of this bill. I just bought it. The seller says it's a natural paper weave and collectors look for this type of thing. I don't believe him. Does this hurt the value? Please help me with this so I know weather to return this bill or not

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thanks for your message.  We could not make any determinations about a note without examining it in person.  You could try emailing in a picture but I don't know how well something like that would show up in a photo.  We would most likely have to examine the note in hand before we could say if that was natural or if there was some issue.  

Thank you,

Wow That's a Super Nice and Original 1914 $5 Series. Natural Paper wave is Common in All US Currency due to the printing Techniques. You will see Some Notes have it more then others because they where wet when placed on the drying racks, usually the notes towards the bottom of the stacks show a lot more natural paper wave while notes towards the tops of the stacks will be flatter to the naked eye but still have the same embossing. Also something to watch for is some districts have More Paper Wave or heavier embossing then other districts due to production runs, pressure from printing etc. In the 1970s a lot of collectors wanted perfectly flat bills so light and heavy pressing methods where applied to a lot of collectible currency and deemed a premium for Market Flat Notes, Today that is not the standard as we know now how notes are really printed and what natural notes should look like. 

Not every note is going to be cookie-cutter the same. Just be aware going forward, especially when collecting EPQ/PPQ notes, that paper wave of varying degrees may be evident. You may want to consider just purchasing notes in person to ensure satisfaction.

To add to Cody's comment, You will notice Paper wave considerably more in the older PMG holders then you will on the more modern style holders. The older plastic isn't as rigid so it tends to show more of the notes originality. The newer holders are much stiffer and don't move as much so it holds the note much tighter and doesn't reflect the paper as well. Just keep in mind you just joined this forum, a lot of us have handled literally thousands and thousands of notes. Me personally I probably handle 100+ 1914 Series $5 Notes monthly and can attest to all the different FR's, Grades, Embossing, and Color of paper/printings.