• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Commonwealth Bank of Australia "C. B. or D. Replacement"

4 posts in this topic

I'm totally new to collecting paper currency, and I inherited a 1939-40 Commonwealth Bank of Australia Ten Shillings note. It's a Sheehan/MacFarlane Orange signature version, but I keep seeing these "b. c. and d. replacements" in the listings in the price guide, and I don't know what it means or how to tell whether my note is one or not. I'm guessing it almost certainly isn't, but what does it mean?

Thank you for your help.

Michael

1939 Commonwealth of Australia-50 Shillings.jpg

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thanks for your email.  The reference book used for World notes is the Standard Catalog of World Paper Money (commonly known as the Pick book). That is where you will see the different varieties.  You can find out more about reference books we use here: Notes PMG Grades, Attributions & Reference Books | PMG (pmgnotes.com)

If you would like to submit your note for grading, you can find out more on the process here: How to Submit | PMG (pmgnotes.com)

Thank you!

Hi Michael, a replacement note will have a star at the end of the serial number, your note “as pictured” is not a replacement note, unfortunately it’s a circulated note,

I wouldn’t have it graded, it won’t grade well in my opinion. It’s value would be approximately AUD $50, maybe less, this is because of its condition.