• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on Currencies

4 posts in this topic

Hi.  I am new to the currency collecting world.  

I am interested in collecting Asian currencies.  Currently I am looking for currencies from North Korea to add to my collection.  I found a handful of sellers that have them available in both paper and coin formats, but they are in China.  I was able to find a few dealers that have them here in the US, but limited denominations.

My question is, given the current US trade restrictions/sanctions that are in effect against North Korea, is it illegal for me to buy NK currency from sellers in China?  I wouldn’t think it would be because there are a handful of currencies from other so called “Axis of Evil” countries that are available for purchase in the US such as from Iraq and Iran.  

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.  Also if anyone knows of sellers in the US that have NK currency, I would be happy to know.  I purchased a few NK notes from a gentlemen in Florida and a coin store in Colorado.

Seems like China would be the most logical place to acquire NK currency. I highly doubt that buying NK currency from a seller in China, or the US for that matter, is illegal. It's not like you're trying to buy a rhino horn or elephant tusk, I wouldn't let it stop me. 

I see NK stuff on eBay from time to time but it's expensive as it is hard to find.

Thank you for the reply.  I did a little more research yesterday.  Many are recommending strongly to not deal with any currency dealer in China as there may be folks there funding NK by selling their bills.  I definitely don't want to be on any "special Fed list" or get "a knock on the door".  I think it is best that I don't buy from currency sellers in China. 

I've bought items from China many times, never had a problem, none of it was NK items though. I do only buy certified items from China though, never anything raw (too many counterfeits). NGC/PMG have offices in Honk Kong and there are a couple of sellers I stick to, none have NK stuff. As far as where the money goes who knows, I agree you wouldn't want to knowingly fund NK interests. Who's to say your money doesn't end up there anyway if you purchased a NK item from an online seller located in the U.S.. Your best chance to acquire NK notes and coins is going to be from countries associated with NK like China or Russia, now way around that other than to wait for the occasional item to show up from what you think is a reputable seller that meets your criteria.