• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PMG Announces Next-Generation Holder and Label

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I've been collecting banknotes for the last 5 years and I have more than 1000 notes certified by PMG. One of the main reasons I choose PMG graded notes among the other grading conpanies is beacause of the label. Your previous label was much more appealing, it looked more sophisticated and complete with the border around the edges. The new design is much more simplified and it looks like it has been rushed. Actually, it looks more like PCGS label, which I don't think it's a good thing. I also noticed on many auctions that PMG graded notes get more attention and prices quickly go up, compared to similarly graded notes. I personally believe one of the reasons for that is the more sophisticated and well designed label. I wish at least that you have left the option for your clients to choose if they want the new or the old label design,  when they submit notes for grading.

Best regards

Val

On 5/3/2020 at 1:58 AM, Valchooo said:

I also noticed on many auctions that PMG graded notes get more attention and prices quickly go up, compared to similarly graded notes. I personally believe one of the reasons for that is the more sophisticated and well designed label.

I suspect you're seeing some of the fall-out from the death of PCGS Currency. They still have PCGS Gold Shield but I think that whole thing has soured a lot of people on PCGS for currency and made PMG look a lot safer and more reliable and stable vs PCGS. PMG/NGC/CCG and PCGS are generally the top two in coins and currency and with PCGS slitting their own throats that leaves PMG as the clear leader alone at the top. 

I don't know if PMG currency caught a bid after PCGS Currency shutdown rather suddenly but I definitely saw PCGS Currency graded notes start selling at a discount (or it felt that way) after they suspended operations. 

Just like to add my voice to those that are extremely disappointed with the new labels. I recently received my first 3 “new label” notes, and eye appeal is absolutely GONE. It looks cheap. I will certainly only be purchasing the old labels from now on, and I’ll wait until the 5th generation label, or the option to receive the 3rd generation, before submitting any notes. 

I feel like some of this might just be a bias toward the familiar to some degree and that I feel like the new labels actually aren't all that different from the old ones.

I haven't gotten the note yet but last night I won an auction for what will be my first note with the gen-4 label. It happens that I have a nearly identical note P-11a vs P-11b in an earlier gen holder and It'll be a pretty even side-by-side when I can have the note in hand make consistent images.

s-l500.jpg.894a71e76ef17b60cda8b3c1fede868e.jpg

scan0005.thumb.jpg.27ef26be7a6d4f397cd75c33a3ce8a69.jpg

I don't have a problem with the new labels and, given time, I might even prefer the new ones. I feel like they're growing on me. The one thing that does bother me about this - and it's been a pet-peeve with NGC for a while - is that having a ton of label designs and generations makes it very hard to have a set with a consistent look unless you're willing to wait to complete a set and then spend huge amounts of money getting them all re-holdered. I don't know that there's any kind of realistic solution for that though - they have to still be free to innovate, make improvements, and keep up with fighting the counterfeiters.

One thing that is a major plus here - to me anyway - is that the new label looks more like the current gen of standard brown and blue "early release" labels being used by NGC, which would make for a nice presentation and visual appeal if you have a collection (like for a country) that has a mix of notes and coins - it makes them look like they belong together a little more.