• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PMG Regrade Is It Worth It?

5 posts in this topic

Hello, i was wonder if any one sent a note to be graded by pmg and got a lower grade than expected and sent back to pmg to get it regraded? And if so did you get a higher grade the second time? I have a 1934 light green 50 dollar federal reserve note that graded a 58 epq but it looks like a solid 64. Is it worth it?

9AC18E90-59B9-4887-B193-5E1D2CAFC37E.jpeg

I recently sent in a note for regrading as I thought it was one grade higher.  Unfortunately, it came back with the same grade (although I can't figure out why - except for a little off centering top to bottom, it's solid).   I even called PMG to see if they can give an explanation to see if I was missing something and they said they don't give out that information.   So it was a waste of time and money as I gained ZERO knowledge to help my eye.

Fr. 1963-E* - 1950B $5 FRN.png

^^^^

Judging from the scan, I would say the 65E grade seems generous, due to the very narrow bottom margin. I've seen many 64's with similar or better centering. It must otherwise be a very nice note, but I can't see it ever getting into a 66 holder.

As to the original post/question, often times there is very little to separate a Gem note from a 58E: a faint "wallet bend," or partial fold, excessive handling, even the wrong kind of light handling (or the finalizer thinks he/she sees something that may or may not be one of the foregoing) can get a note demoted. These types of issues are often (but not always) not apparent in the holder. Also, unless you saw the note raw and are very confident in your grading, I would expect that PMG would be very unlikely to change the grade.

The re-grade process is a sham. Regardless of whether you send in as a re-grade or you take the note out and send it like it has never been graded, they will look up the serial to see if it has been previously graded by them and then just give you that same grade to protect each other. If it wasn't for the nice holder they have I would go somewhere else.