• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Notes to collect?

10 posts in this topic

I was wondering which notes are the notes to collect that are the most marketable. Like in the coin series, Morgans are moveable in any market it seems. From what I have read and understand, Morgans are the MOST collected coin. So, going with that example, where does that apply in notes? What is the MOST collected NOTE, both large and small? Where would you concentrate you interest?

hello,

- What is the MOST collected NOTE, both large and small?

from my review of the PMG collectors sets the

Small Size Silver Certificate $1 Set are the most popular.

http://notes.www.collectors-society.com/registry/notes/public_sets.aspx?CategoryID=659&SetTypeID=2292&sets=all

- Where would you concentrate your interest?

as a collector, not investor, i collect what i like, and can afford.

its the same as coins, the high grade and very rare notes

are most desired by those that have the money.

but most collectors can't afford these notes.

- for reference:

the "Green Sheet" similar to the "Gray Sheet"

provides some market trend information.

http://www.greysheet.com/cdn/green.asp

http://www.greysheet.com/cdn/gren_art.asp

other collectors may have different views,

but hope this was helpful.

Personally, I only collect PMG graded notes from 1935 or EARLIER (this includes the WW II emergency notes as well) in PMG 63 - 66 EPQ. EPQ is a MUST (anymore for me anyway).Therefore, I can only comment on this segment.

I believe that the large size notes, for me, are the best, althought right now, after I buy the Treasury Note I have on hold with a dealer, I will be concentrating on both a 1928 $1 Legal Tender and the rest of the 1918 $1 Flying Eagles that I don't have.

My advice is to collect what you like, I just happen to think that most notes are affordable right now (or, at least as affordable as they are going to get) and right now is a good time to buy. Knowledge is key and I am somewhat of a 'newbie' myself. I hope that helps!

Read, read, read and listen to a lot of the more knowledgeable collectors on this board. Also, I must advise, I personally, will only collect PMG (and possibly PCGS) graded notes. I have SEEN and heard too many horror stories about other thrid party grading companies. Thank you for your time and I hope I have at least helped you in any way that I can, but please remember to buy what you like!

The first notes that come to mind with your question about which ones are like Morgan dollars, are the 1901 $10 Legal Tender "Bison" note and the 1899 $5 Silver Certificate "Chief" note. Like the Morgans, they are not "rare" but people really like them and they always seem to sell.

Marketable ? (wanted by purchasers)

Small-size notes are the lions share on eBay. Mostly affordable, in abundance and plenty of buyers. Large-size notes, older, more rare, and useally note-for-note more expensive....depends on your budget, and how long you're willing to wait for your R.O.I. Once again, your interests and budget will be a factor.

The first notes that come to mind with your question about which ones are like Morgan dollars, are the 1901 $10 Legal Tender "Bison" note and the 1899 $5 Silver Certificate "Chief" note. Like the Morgans, they are not "rare" but people really like them and they always seem to sell.

Agree. Also add the 1896 Educational Series. Together with the 1901 $10 and1899 $5 these are considered classics, and there are enough available to make them collectible.

Arguably, the 1899 $1 could be added to this list.