• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite Note in Collection Thread

48 posts in this topic

I was just wondering what are people's favorite notes in their collection.

My favorite would have to be this $50 1950B Preist/Anderson Note. The serial looks sharp with only odds and just has a beautiful design. I love looking at this note.

Can be viewed as an attachment.

589a8facdc95c_1045425-50.jpg.db0257abec62858c42c7a98d3ec6f927.jpg

Here are a couple of my favorites that I bought off eBay a year or so ago:

19231d.jpg

19172d.jpg

The photos are from the original ebay auction, so they are a little small. I also like the large size FRNs I have though they are ragged, I just like seeing Jackson on the $10 and Cleveland on the $20. I also like a few of the small size FRNs I have, like the series 1928 $20 with a "7" instead of a "G" in the fed seal, and a series 1928 $100 FRN that states it is payable in gold or lawful money. I have a couple obsolete notes, one from the state of North Carolina in 1862 and another $20 note from the Canal Bank in New Orleans which was never issues. Very pretty two-sided note.

Nice notes bubt ive always wondered why people settle for less then uncirculated notes. To me it seems if you do it right the first time, there is more satisfaction in years to come when the notes become harder to find an you have one of the few uncirculated notes. I realize that some notes are way to expensive, but what is the point of "fillers" in a collection. I collect notes for their beauty, which is more pleasureable in uncirculated condition. Any comments?

Nice notes bubt ive always wondered why people settle for less then uncirculated notes. To me it seems if you do it right the first time, there is more satisfaction in years to come when the notes become harder to find an you have one of the few uncirculated notes. I realize that some notes are way to expensive, but what is the point of "fillers" in a collection. I collect notes for their beauty, which is more pleasureable in uncirculated condition. Any comments?

You have to remember that not everyone is Bill Gates. wink.gif

I could afford a Bison in no higher than F-15...

Hayden

Well, you have to remember that not everyone collects notes exclusively, nor do we all have the resources to spend on all unc notes. For me, a choice between virtually any Saint and an unc. note, no matter how rare, I would always choose the Saint. Most of my older notes are not unc. even though unc. ones might be affordable to me. There are two main reasons for this: first I don't want to spend the extra money, and two, circulated notes have more character in my eyes since people have actually used them. I have many notes, going back to series 1928 which I received in circulation, from $2 to $50, which I can't complain about since they were only bought at face value. I also have a lot of crisp unc notes too, I have been saving multiple $1 and $2 notes since the 1970s, putting aside a bunch of crisp new notes every time a new series came out. Are they worth anything? Maybe a few of the star notes are, but what the heck, I only paid face value for them!

Here are a couple of my favorites that I bought off eBay a year or so ago:

19231d.jpg

I actually got one of these silver certificate dollars (1937?) back as change in 1986. I still have it somewhere. I just think it's neat. smile.gif (Though it's not in very nice condition, of course)

One of the neatest silver certificate dollars I have seen is the North African one used by Allied troops.

US_%241_1935A_North_Africa_Silver_Certificate.jpg

The only difference was a yellow instead of blue treasury seal. The notes could be declared worthless if they fell into enemy hands.

Well, can't find it right now, but somewhere in a reference book it listed the "Z" prefix used for replacement notes. Hmmmmm, guess I'll have to do some digging around this weekend. Of course the note attached here has got to be another favorite 'cause I received it in change at a bank years ago.

1181312-File0015.jpg.70ae4ce9dcfb56ddfe77f0d4eab4696f.jpg

I agree with the other posters, that it's primarily a matter of the shallowness of our pockets. Not everyone has 6 or 7 figure annual incomes, so we buy the best that we can afford at the present, and upgrade as our finances allow it. smile.gif

This one of the favorites in my collection: a 1928 $1.00 "Legal Tender" U.S. Note which is the only small-sized U.S. $1.00 note ever issued with a red seal. It was released for use exclusively in Puerto Rico!

You'll have to click on the attachment icon to see it.

1197907-mynotes003.jpg.bc3cf1df41bcd4913ce966a8f1e38855.jpg