• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tier choosing for one note.
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hello! I would like to know if anyone knows, what tier is best to choose before sending that invoice out to get a US paper money note graded?

I see a lot of tiers and none of them specify for a single note.

Its a 1934 $20 hawaii emergency note.hawai.PNG.379e69a86840f1cd12785369998605fb.PNG

On 6/29/2024 at 5:23 PM, Arjenis said:

Hello! I would like to know if anyone knows, what tier is best to choose before sending that invoice out to get a US paper money note graded?

I see a lot of tiers and none of them specify for a single note.

Its a 1934 $20 hawaii emergency note.hawai.PNG.379e69a86840f1cd12785369998605fb.PNG

I'd go with the Economy tier as that would be your cheapest option unless you have a bulk submission. I would absolutely not send this note in by itself, I'd wait until I had a dozen or more notes to send in with it to keep the cost down.

Posted (edited)
On 6/30/2024 at 8:11 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I'd go with the Economy tier as that would be your cheapest option unless you have a bulk submission. I would absolutely not send this note in by itself, I'd wait until I had a dozen or more notes to send in with it to keep the cost down.

Wow! Ok. So, I just studied this a bit and I see that the bulk submission will require 50 notes minimum to qualify. So then let's say I send a dozen (12) notes like you mentioned. I will need to go with economy anyway since I don't meet the 50-note requirement for bulk? Is that right? And IF I can use the Bulk submission for 12 notes, could I send 11 sequential pre-1957 notes + this 1934 $20 Hawaii note on the same Vintage Bulk - Mixed Types (pre-1957)? Or what would be the best way to do this? Sorry for all these questions! I am definitely a new newb to this lol . Thank you so much for helping me out to begin with!

Edited by Arjenis
Thought of a better question

On 6/30/2024 at 4:22 PM, Arjenis said:

So then let's say I send a dozen (12) notes like you mentioned. I will need to go with economy anyway since I don't meet the 50-note requirement for bulk?

Correct.

The economy tier is what I'd go with based on what you're telling me.

Ok, so then things brings me to my last question, lol. You said i should not send the note by itself. To wait until I have at least a dozen to keep the cost down. How does sending a dozen VS sending one keep cost down? 

On 7/1/2024 at 4:45 PM, Arjenis said:

Ok, so then things brings me to my last question, lol. You said i should not send the note by itself. To wait until I have at least a dozen to keep the cost down. How does sending a dozen VS sending one keep cost down? 

The cost of shipping there and back, along with the $10 handling charge. Let's say shipping with insurance to PMG cost you $25, I think PMG charges another $25 to ship a note back and they also charge a $10 handling fee if I remember correctly. All that cost, roughly $60, would go against this one note as opposed to being spread out over let's say ten notes. $60 vs $6 per note is a big difference when it comes time to sell and try to make your money back. 

If you don't have additional notes to send with then you'd better know how to grade a note yourself, if the note in the OP came back as a 35-58 you'd have a hard time recouping any grading fees, especially $60 + $37 economy tier grading fee = $97. Of course if you acquired the note for no or very little money then it is not as big of a deal, or maybe it doesn't matter to you. (shrug) If it was my note I'd be trying to keep the cost down.

OH i see what you are trying to say. You mean to say that i might as well send more notes to be graded for ONE shipping cost. Well il actually have to pay more to be honest by sending more notes. Since we have to multiply the economy tier of $37 by the number of notes. Is this correct?

On 7/1/2024 at 5:14 PM, Arjenis said:

You mean to say that i might as well send more notes to be graded for ONE shipping cost.

Yes, to distribute the cost of shipping, insurance, packaging, handling, etc., charges over several notes, that way all of those costs don't go against one note.

On 7/1/2024 at 5:14 PM, Arjenis said:

Well il actually have to pay more to be honest by sending more notes. Since we have to multiply the economy tier of $37 by the number of notes. Is this correct?

Yes, you will have to pay more up front but the $60 or so non-grading tier costs would be spread over several notes, making the overall cost of grading each note less. 

Like I said, maybe it doesn't matter in your case or you have no other notes worth sending in, etc.. I'm just saying if it was my note I'd wait until I had a dozen or so additional notes to send in to keep the costs per note lower.

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
Clarification