• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Obsolete Population Report versus if graded

4 posts in this topic

If an Obsolete note is not listed in the PMG Population Report does that mean PMG has never graded one before?

Example, I cannot find a Reading, PA- Corporation of the Borough of Reading 6 1/4¢ obsolete note from 1837.

I was considering submitting it but if it is not on the population report I am not sure of its Catalog #

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thank you for your message.  Our Population Report will only show notes that we have graded.  If you do not see your note listed then more than likely we have not graded any, or, if we did, they were graded before we started adding Obsolete notes to our Population Report. 

The main reference book we use for Obsolete Currency is Standard Catalog of United States Obsolete Bank Notes 1782-1866 by James Haxby.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.  Thank you!

On 7/13/2022 at 8:21 AM, Jennifer F. said:

The main reference book we use for Obsolete Currency is Standard Catalog of United States Obsolete Bank Notes 1782-1866 by James Haxby.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.  Thank you!

Thank you for the reply.  Do you know if the the catalog #'s are the same format or if you accept catalog numbers from the Obsolete Paper Money Guide by Don Kelly ISBN 978-1-7320338-0-1 ?  This is the one I have been using.  I guess I will have to buy the other one if not.

@Jason 3G The numbers from that book would not appear on the labels unless you specifically request them, in which case they could be added for a variety fee. Other wise we would still accept this as the catalog number and not charge for the research fee but it would not appear on the label. Let us know if you have any other questions!