• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$20 bill worth anything?

5 posts in this topic

That note is hard to find as I can find no recorded sales on Heritage Auction's archives.  I don't have my Kelly reference handy, but will check next week for population.  Someone else may have population from Track and Price (T&P).  Those are rather large signatures from the logo type which may mean it's an early production from the Government Printing Office (most notes were made by a contractor, BBS, and typically have smaller signatures (and a few other diagnostics for the logo type)).  The logo type is the bank info including charter number and signatures.  The town name is neat which adds to the appeal and Montana notes tend to have a premium.  I'd grade it as a VF or VF+.  Where did you find this note??  PROTECT THIS NOTE--DO NOT TRY TO IMPROVE IT IN ANY WAY as you will just damage it.  Hopefully you know that already.  Thanks for posting.  

This note was part of an inheritance from my father. He had it mixed in with a bunch of other bills. It is protected. I have been collecting coins my entire life. I never did much with bills tho I had a few Silver Certificates and US Notes. I have others but I was able to find more info about those. I was offered $1000 for this bill from the fella at one of the more prominent sites this week. I'm more inclined to just hold it for a couple of years or auction it. I want to get it graded but Im not sure how to value it per the PMG Tiers.

My Kelly, 6th Ed. has a population of 12 Small and he listed $1000 for a note in VF, so that offer was in the ball park. Only 96 sheets of ty 1 $20s were issued (6 notes per sheet).  A different database (T&P) would have the current population broken down by denomination and type 1 or 2.  I have a note on the Citizens NB of Albion, NY; I paid $625 for a Ty. 1 $10 in VF+; it's now in a PMG 30 holder.  Neat town name and a pop of only 5 small (in Kelly), but New York is a common state. It's in this set:   sig.jpg

It's a pain to get them graded.  Easier if you have a dealer close by that does a lot of business with PMG and would have it graded for you.  Economy tier is up to $1000 value, so you probably have to use the Standard tier which is up to $3000.  Cost is $25 vs. $45 and oh by the way, each submission has an additional $10 handling charge so you try to submit a bunch of notes at once to average out the shipping and handling fees.  I have 2 notes to submit using this tier and am waiting for next year's membership dues for a statement credit towards grading.

I'm guessing the FNB of Reserve was the best note from your father, but given the value, make sure there's nothing special about the other notes like a radar serial number.  I do believe your note was printed by the GPO, but given its rarity, I don't think it would add much to the value.

On 11/15/2020 at 5:24 PM, ddr70 said:

My Kelly, 6th Ed. has a population of 12 Small and he listed $1000 for a note in VF, so that offer was in the ball park. Only 96 sheets of ty 1 $20s were issued (6 notes per sheet).  A different database (T&P) would have the current population broken down by denomination and type 1 or 2.  I have a note on the Citizens NB of Albion, NY; I paid $625 for a Ty. 1 $10 in VF+; it's now in a PMG 30 holder.  Neat town name and a pop of only 5 small (in Kelly), but New York is a common state. It's in this set:   sig.jpg

It's a pain to get them graded.  Easier if you have a dealer close by that does a lot of business with PMG and would have it graded for you.  Economy tier is up to $1000 value, so you probably have to use the Standard tier which is up to $3000.  Cost is $25 vs. $45 and oh by the way, each submission has an additional $10 handling charge so you try to submit a bunch of notes at once to average out the shipping and handling fees.  I have 2 notes to submit using this tier and am waiting for next year's membership dues for a statement credit towards grading.

I'm guessing the FNB of Reserve was the best note from your father, but given the value, make sure there's nothing special about the other notes like a radar serial number.  I do believe your note was printed by the GPO, but given its rarity, I don't think it would add much to the value.

I have never heard of the GPO printing notes, do you have more info about that?